I Have The Chance To Buy Back My First Car, A 70 Mustang I Had 25 Years Ago (dallas, Tx)

centuryhouse

Jun 11, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hi all - newby here from Dallas, TX.

I bought my first car in 1989 - a 1970 Coupe Grande Mustang with 351w.. My 2nd car was 2 years later - a 67 Mustang coupe with 289. Around '91 I got in a financial bind and sold the 70 to my brother. From there it changed hands a few times over the years. I haven't seen it since 1991 and I've always regretted selling it.

This weekend, the current owner put it up for sale.

I don't have much money. I'm guessing if I miss buying this, I'll never have that chance again.

The car is rough. Interior is somewhat trashed, there is rust in the floor panels (at least on one side, I'll have to check into it more to learn more), the exterior isn't terrible but has had some abuse (ruined valance panel, bent bumpers, scraped driver's door). Mechanically it is missing a wheel (?!) and looks like it has been sitting 3 years since its last inspection. The owner says the carb is shot, and it won't start because of that.

In 1990 I replaced the transmission with another of the same model from a wrecking yard. Somewhere along the way, they got rid of the 351 Windsor and put in a 302.

That is really all I know about it. The asking price is $7k.

I am now 45. I really want my first car back. Currently I live in a community where major work on cars isn't allowed. I am not rich - quite the opposite.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. How difficult and expensive are Mustangs to get replacement parts for?

Anyway, that is my story. I may cross post this in the tech section if needed, but this is my intro as well.
1989a.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome. Sorry I can't offer much advice here but I suggest posting this in the classic section. I'm sure you can get more help there. There is a lot of experience there. Also post any pictures of the car as it sits so that they know what you are working with.

For what it's worth, it seems to me that $7k is too much for the condition it's in. It also sounds like you'd have to do a fair amount of work so I'm not sure how that would work out in your community. I completely understand the desire to get this car so I hope that it works out for you. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk