Slow84LX's 1984 T-top coupe

slow84lx

clean it good before insertion
Jul 3, 2005
Dallas, TX
Long time member, I've read and "LIked" many posts but seldom post myself. It feels like home to me here although I've only met a few of you in person. It's time to increase that level of participation.

I've been wanting to create a Build Thread for the Mustang for some years now. However, it just continues to sit in the garage and gather a thick layer of dust. No more. I'm digging it out and will get it moving under it's own power for the first time in about 20 years. Here is part of the story,....and hopefully, documentation of the return to glory.

This car and I go back a ways. Way back to 1985 when in 10th grade I got to drive it out of the showroom of Johnson Ford in Denham Springs, LA. It was "just" an LX , not the GT that my teenage self lusted after, but it did have the 5.0 HO engine and the t-tops were ultra cool at the time. The automatic was not desirable, but I finally had that HO 5.0 Mustang that I had dreamed of.

In the late '80's our family moved to the Atlanta, GA area, and in the late '90's my wife and I moved to the Dallas, TX area where the stang resides to this day.

This was my daily driver do everything car before becoming mostly a work vehicle. The AOD split an input shaft along the way and it sat for a year or so until repair. After marriage and kids came along it was mostly just a get me to work car. At some point the original engine was replaced with a rebuilt long block. All completely stock replacement parts.

Coming home from work one Friday evening in 2004 the lower radiator hose blew out on 635 in a construction zone with no emergency lane to pull over in. By the time we reached an exit and got to a place to pull over the engine seized as it coasted to a stop. After letting it cool for an hour or 2 the engine turned over enough to start. With rags zip tied around the hole in the lower hose and a gallon of water poured it it limped home with a few stops to keep it just under the overheating mark. The engine was toasted. The car has been parked since. It made the move in 2007 on a trailer and hasn't moved under it's own power since.

Over the years all of the necessary (used) parts have been collected to get it back on the road but one thing or another kept that from happening, mostly procrastination, divorce, child support, being a single father, lack of funds, remarriage, life, and more procrastination.

The summer of 2023 is the time for change. Funding will allow. Time is tight due to lots of travel for work. Motivation is present and I would love to drive this car again,.....with upgrades.

Crack a beer or 3 and follow along. Chime in. Help and encouragement will definitely be appreciated along the way.
:cheers:

Jonathan

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Here is what we are working with:

Silver 1984 Mustang LX 5.0 CFI AOD T-top coupe
Repainted cheaply in the mid-'90's. Badly faded soon after.

This picture taken in September 2019 after completely rebuilding / installing a 1995 disk brake 8.8 with 3.73's. Rear wheels are vintage 1999 V6 Mustang rims.

Attachments

• 20190915_092716.jpg
    20190915_092716.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
This beauty was found in a grocery store parking lot in Wylie, TX in 2016. Other than the whitewall tires and lack of t-tops it looks just like my car did in 1984 right down to the factory plastic wire spoke hub caps. My car was originally equipped with Goodyear Eagle GT black wall tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    517.6 KB · Views: 40
Upgrades in the plan.
  • Cobra brakes front & rear
  • FMS shorty headers
  • Catted H-pipe and dual exhaust
  • GT40P heads
  • Ported Explorer lower intake
  • TFS1 cam
  • 8.8 w/ 3.73 gears already installed
  • AOD to T5 conversion
  • CFI to Sequential injection
  • 24 lb injectors
  • Cobra computer
  • Ford Motorsports engine harness
  • '95 throttle body
  • Mark VIII fan
  • 1983 rear facing hood scoop
  • 1984 1/2 GT nose with fog lights or Maiier Racing front air dam - undecided on which at this point
Parts for all of the above are already on hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Great news Jon, are you still in the house in Plano that Dave and I went to? You need to get it back on the road by the time mine is done so we can have two T-Top coupes cruising around here.

Reactions: 1 users
Great news Jon, are you still in the house in Plano that Dave and I went to? You need to get it back on the road by the time mine is done so we can have two T-Top coupes cruising around here.

Same place Nick. You are welcome to drop by anytime you find yourself in the area. Are you in the same house in Little Elm?

2 T-top coupes cruising around would be cool. We'll make it happen.

I've followed along with all of the updates that you have posted. That car is going to be perfect when finished. I can't wait to see it in person when finished.

Same place Nick. You are welcome to drop by anytime you find yourself in the area. Are you in the same house in Little Elm?

2 T-top coupes cruising around would be cool. We'll make it happen.

I've followed along with all of the updates that you have posted. That car is going to be perfect when finished. I can't wait to see it in person when finished.
Yep, same place for me too. I'm super excited about it but I have to tell myself all the time to be patient as we still have at least a year to go I'm sure.

Picked up a new engine for the coupe this week. My neighbor and friend inherited this 1998 Mountaineer from his Mom. He isn't mechanically inclined at all so it has sat most of the last 3 years with very minor problems that he can't fix himself and are too costly for him to have a shop take care of. I've helped him with these kind of things many times over the years but work has me traveling most weeks now so time is limited..

This car lived its entire life in California & Texas so no rust. 155,000 miles. I spent the morning washing / vacuuming / cleaning as I prefer to work on clean vehicles. It was in dire need of all 3. When he mentioned that he was going to donate it to an animal charity in exchange for a tax deduction I asked him if he would rather have some cash vs. a tax deduction. We agreed on a price that he was more than happy with the next day.

It fires up as soon as the key is twisted.

It's 100* today. Blazing hot!

Attachments

• 20230715_133315.jpg
    20230715_133315.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230715_124417.jpg
    20230715_124417.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
General, this is a clapped out AWD with the front driveshaft removed. He had some problem with the car 8-10 years ago and the shop he went to fixed it by removing the front shaft. It's been otherwise fine for him. Well, except that you have to set the parking brake everytime you park or it will slowly creep downhill.

2wd would be preferred but this was available the price was right!

Last edited:
Just the engine, Nick. We have no need or space for another vehicle. The outside of the Mountaineer looks good but the interior isn't up to par. It's going to get taken apart as much as practical, the parts sold, and the body will go to the scrapyard.

The last few weekends were spent with the Mountaineer. It got a good cleaning because I don't care for working on greasy cars, and then started taking off all of the easy stuff while it was still at the house.

Towed it out to a friends barn in East Texas for the rest of the work. It's a 2 hour drive each way and can usually only get 3-4 hours at a time in before I've had enough. The car is in full sun behind the barn and we have had 18 straight days over 100* It's hot!

This is the 4th car that I've personally disassembled over the years, all Fords, 2 were Mustangs. By far this has been the most difficult. The engine bay on this thing is tight for space. I cannot imagine doing this job in the summer in the middle of a U-pull-it type yard in just a few hours. I took the time to take apart connectors and all plastic parts without breaking so that they could be reused.

The Sawzall has become my best friend. Knowing that it wasn't going back on the road I used it liberally for access. Its much easier to break loose the driveshaft bolts when you are standing up looking down. :jester:

My buddy who own the barn and I decided to pull the engine / transmission together as a unit. With the core support cut off along with most of the front end sheet metal coupled with the large access hole inside it seemed that would be the cat's meow. Wrong! The transfer case sticks out and hooked everything. The Sawzall was up to the task and we finally got it out & loaded in the truck.

There are probably 2 more trips to east Texas to pull parts, haul the shell to the scrapper, and transfer the sellable parts to Plano before any meaningful work to begin preparing this engine for the Mustang can be done.

Anyone that needs Explorer/ Mountaineer parts send a message.

Enough rambling. Pics or it didn't happen.

Attachments

• 20230808_151833.jpg
    20230808_151833.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230808_151955.jpg
    20230808_151955.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 42
I think those 8.8 rears in that body style had 31 spline axles and carriers.
But the housing is offset
I think that you are right. I haven't checked this one yet for gearing / traction lock. It'll get pulled last, after it is on the trailer to haul off for scrap.

It seems like these were sought after by the classic Stang crowd as an easy upgrade to get an 8.8 w/ disc brakes. I think it was common to shorten the long side?

Wonder if these are still in demand?

Last edited: