i just can't figure this thing. fast one time, slow another.

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
we all know how the last track session went. horribly wrong.

i cleaned the plugs. number 4 was totally fouled. probably from when i first ran it and waited to clean them. it just got worse from there.

so it went from 10.88 at 66 mph to running down the interstate from 60- 130 with a 2004 vette.

no B.S. "kill" stuff here, we weren't racing. just enjoying a little WOT jaunt home. i could tell he was "all in" from his exhaust note. he was an auto it seems. he pulled on me ever so slowly.

but that's not the point. this crate goes from 66 mph 1/8th miles to hanging with an LS. BTW LS chevy's really don't run away any more. i have more torque and less hp. i am probably going to ***** can the PCM. it has to be "learning" to run like crap then like a champ. i also regapped the plugs to .045 from factory.

i sure wish i had a carb right now.

• Sponsors (?)

I would certainly be lost in your situation, but I'm sure if you can get it running then you are capable of fixing this issue. This is project is practically a prototype as very few people do this, let alone have done it with the new heads and all the newer computer crap used on these engines. Good luck, it will be killer when you get it running right.

bill, how hard would it be for you to rig a carb setup for the 3V? That does seem incredibly weird to me... such a slow 1/8 time, but then running with corvettes on the highway. Your computer might just be tweaking out and can't learn the parameters of the new engine... are you using your stock computer? Also, factory gap is 0.054", not 0.045 (not sure if that was a typo or not), that might affect something.. good luck w/ sorting out these issues, this is a very interesting build to me, I hope it will finally start to come around for you

yeah the gap is reduced to .045 from stock. i want it a little hotter. this is also the first time it has made enough power to slip O/D WOT.

the vette didn't pull until i hit my rpm limit. i stayed on hid ass until that happened. i'm not going to drive i until i get it to the track. i hope it stays until then.

The pcm could be unable to handle things. i have to give that some credence. i have a 4v upper harness. i could get a cobra pcm and try it.

i have too many things in the fire right now.

new improved headers $400
new intake for 'b' head 4v $400
3v? or 4v? cams $1200
15" tires $????
porting 4v heads free plus milling/3 angle job

actually stick to a direction.... priceless.

I really think that if you took it to a good dyno tuner, it would be running GREAT. They know all the ins and out...and can turn the adaptiveness of the EEC.

Wouldnt be too far for you to drive to G.A. and meet Tim @ MPH. He will get the tune dead on.

georgia huh where in GA?

when i get the headers done and the exhaust to look less like a prototype and more like production.

it's hideous under there. not really restrictive, but it has been the last priority. i have only made 10-15 versions.

the headers are the same. but larger tubes and 5" longer. i will post pics of these when done. i have to keep putting the 4v further behind schedule.

do i really need 525fwhp N/A? i even thought about rebuilding the 4.6 4v and going with it. not because i want to , but eveything is just a call away from ordering instead of fabbing it over months. too many options.

Here

Marietta2.jpg

Closup

Marietta1.jpg

Attachments

• Marietta2.jpg
    Marietta2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Marietta1.jpg
    Marietta1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 86
billfisher said:
do i really need 525fwhp N/A? i even thought about rebuilding the 4.6 4v and going with it. not because i want to , but eveything is just a call away from ordering instead of fabbing it over months. too many options.

I know what you're saying here. On one hand, you want the big power and to have something totally unique... on the other, you want to get the car to finally run right and stop having to fab 10000 things in order to get to the final product. It's tough no doubt, I can't imagine all the work, planning and research that has gone into this. Like I said, hopefully these bugs will get worked out; i mean, mechanically it sounds like everything is kosher, but it sounds like computer glitches are really whats holding you back. I don't know that taking your car to a dyno tuner will the end all of your problems... how many people have experience w/ a completely custom 3V 5.4L in a 96GT, using a cobra harness + computer. It's worth a shot though, good luck

(maybe that carb idea isn't so bad after all :) )

Um maybe its just me....but look how much this crap runs.

SCT pro racer software

Yea $795 + another 100 to support a 96 and another $75 for the 120 page manual. Then if he doesnt have a labtop he has to buy one of those too.
Then he will need this Wide band to accuartely determine A/F ratio. Yea another $200.

I know he has alot of projects planned, but I think the guy has enough stress as it is....imagine trying to figure that crap out :eek: . Seems alot easier if he gets everything mechanically squared away and then takes it to a dyno tuner...otherwise he will have to be doing his WOT logging on the street (dangerous) or PAYING to go to the track on certain days.

Ill stick with going to a dyno tuner...otherway would be a SERIOUS pain and or dangerous. Unless he just wants to spend over $1000 and jack around with it :shrug: . But sounds like he is ready for it to be running correctly to me.
Tim @ MPH shouldnt have any problem tuning the car as long as he knows what it has done...he knows what the heck he is doing. :nice:

hotmustang331 said:
Um maybe its just me....but look how much this crap runs.

SCT pro racer software

Yea $795 + another 100 to support a 96 and another $75 for the 120 page manual. Then if he doesnt have a labtop he has to buy one of those too.
Then he will need this Wide band to accuartely determine A/F ratio. Yea another $200.

I know he has alot of projects planned, but I think the guy has enough stress as it is....imagine trying to figure that crap out :eek: . Seems alot easier if he gets everything mechanically squared away and then takes it to a dyno tuner...otherwise he will have to be doing his WOT logging on the street (dangerous) or PAYING to go to the track on certain days.

Ill stick with going to a dyno tuner...otherway would be a SERIOUS pain and or dangerous. Unless he just wants to spend over $1000 and jack around with it :shrug: . But sounds like he is ready for it to be running correctly to me.
Tim @ MPH shouldnt have any problem tuning the car as long as he knows what it has done...he knows what the heck he is doing. :nice:
:stupid:

This makes perfect sense.

when i finally do get it right, i will just change it. i need a tune from MPH it seems. local tuners have no interest in this. aside from all of the other stuff i have purchased as contingencies, a set of 3v heads for porting are on the long list also. i need to get this mostly done by march. my wife wants a class 'a' coach for next spring. you cannot imagine how much she hates this car. i broke two studs off a couple of nights ago when i took the DR2's off. the time i spent replacing them sent her off of the deep end. in some ways i wish i was single. when i was twenty i spent entire weekends modding my first 5.0. i considered changing rod/main bearings and turning the crank to be 6 month PM'ing. i went through one cam after another/intakes, etc.

now i can't get 3 hours without paying for it. good thing i'm crazy about my wife. the car is in second place by only the slightest margins.

^ :lol: yea, that is how i feel too! thats great. anyway, id get it to the tuner as well.

i cant believe you are taking on such a huge project. WOW! that is why im trying to keep it simple. yea, its not going to be to different but it will be more easily done then yours.

although im sure just throwing in a built engine and blower for me is equivelent toyou and your project as you know alot more then me.:nice: