i know someone can help...

93GTosu

May 5, 2005
i'm dealing with several problems here. Hopefully someone can help with some (or all) of them.

1. my car is leaking coolant. its coming from the back of the motor, the heater core hoses to be exact. I replaced the hoses (and it still leaked) then bypassed the heater core thinking maybe that was the culprit. I can see drops coming off the hose and a little oozing out the end of the hose but i've tightened it down and bought new clamps. Is it possible i've bent/cracked the hard line thats on the lower intake? and if so where could i find a new one? (JY?)

at first i thought it was my lower leaking, which is possible although i dont see how it could make its way UP to the hoses then.

2. I dont know what other peoples cars sound like but let me describe mine...lets say i'm driving around and i hit 4th instead of 2nd (somehow). The car would make this *putt putt putt* (like the engine was under too much load b/c it was in 4 instead of 2nd)

when my motor was stock it would do this if the RPMs were under (lets say) 1500ish.

Probelm: Now with my P motor it seems to do it even around 2K if i give it gas. :notnice:

am i explaining this well enough, cause i just got off a 10hr shift...????

3. i pulled my plugs and the strap was a greyish/whitish color. I was expecting a tan color like before. I asked the guys at NAPA while i was up there and they thought they were fine. I "might" just be paranoid :)rolleyes: ) but i always thought a white color indicated hot or lean.

The car got up to 230ish a month ago, replaced the radiator now it runs at 180. Stock fuel system and pump.

Mods: gt40P heads and intake, stock cam and rockers, UD pullies, 94/95 mustang 70mm maf,12* timing, AC/smog delete.

• Sponsors (?)

Being in a high gear (4th) compared to needing to be in second will give a chuggy sound and feel. The little bit of extra timing (and possibly compression from the heads, if they chambers are smaller than stock) could cause this.

White plugs are fairly common, it shows a bit of leanness, but your car could be running just fine.

Here is a link to the heater core hose, if that is what you are talking about:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-9424B 1&comp=LRS

If you tighten down the clamps to much, it can cut through the hoses, but new ones make it harder to do.

Good Luck!

Being in a high gear (4th) compared to needing to be in second will give a chuggy sound and feel. The little bit of extra timing (and possibly compression from the heads, if they chambers are smaller than stock) could cause this.

White plugs are fairly common, it shows a bit of leanness, but your car could be running just fine.

Here is a link to the heater core hose, if that is what you are talking about:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-9424B 1&comp=LRS

If you tighten down the clamps to much, it can cut through the hoses, but new ones make it harder to do.

Good Luck!

ok thanks. So is the sound normal/good/bad? I just know its different than what it used to be, not whether that is a good or bad thing or what i should do. :shrug:

thanks for the info on the plugs!

i'll check the rubber hoses for tears and cracks but with 2 new hoses (2 and a bypass) i just assumed it was something else i might have been missing.

I have always equated the sound to detonation (fuel/air is pre-igniting)...but I do not know. An exhaust makes it more noticeable...

Good Luck, I wish I could be of more assistance...

I have always equated the sound to detonation (fuel/air is pre-igniting)...but I do not know. An exhaust makes it more noticeable...

Good Luck, I wish I could be of more assistance...

well you are helping! thank you!

if its detonating thats terrible right!? :eek: :eek: maybe i should back the timing back down to 10* and see what happens??? what else causes detonation?? :shrug:

car runs fine, a little slower than i expected first time out (about 14.0@101ish 2.0x 60ft. back in may?) but it was an improvement over stock. i just need time to work with it and cut the times down. havent had time to go racing since then.

well you are helping! thank you!

if its detonating thats terrible right!? :eek: :eek: maybe i should back the timing back down to 10* and see what happens??? what else causes detonation?? :shrug:

car runs fine, a little slower than i expected first time out (about 14.0@101ish 2.0x 60ft. back in may?) but it was an improvement over stock. i just need time to work with it and cut the times down. havent had time to go racing since then.

Detonation on an N/A engine under a low load situation isn't a big deal, it happens quite frequently and is very common.

Many things can lead to detonation: Excess compression, advanced timing, lean running engine (not enough fuel), etc.

Read this:nice: It is a good solid and easy to read article on detonation, and as you can see it talks about 'lugging' an engine that can cause detonation and to just keep it in a lower gear...

http://www.turborx7.com/detonation.htm

I would just put it in the proper gear, in your example 2nd over 4th:)

What was your times before and after (just curious)?

As far as your coolant leak is concerned, you could remove that coolant pipe altogether. You'll need an NPT pipe plug for the back of the intake and a rubber end cap to clamp on the water pump. This would also eliminate your throttle body heater/EGR cooler (if you still have the EGR in place).

What's your timing set at now? the car should be able to hold 12-14° timing without any detonation. 5spd Gt....i dont know if i agree with you that his situation would be considered low load. (Im just discussing here...thinking out loud) But in a high gear like 4th at low rpms...when he goes to accelerate he is actually putting a HUGE load on the car. Probably in the 60-80% range...maybe higher. I think you are on the right track though to check the timing. I would also look at changing out your fuel filter and doing some other routine tune up stuff...and see if it clears up any problems. At 2k rpms you're car should be pulling pretty good no matter what gear especially with the stock cam. Good luck man...keep us posted

ninety - I used the world 'low load' incorrectly, I meant to say the car isn't running hard, I think your explanation is much more to what he wanted:nice:

His timing is/was set at 12*...

Oops...yea i missed the timing note on his original post. I dont think 12° is a problem but while you at it, you might just want to put it back to base 10°. I would spend a little time doing the normal tune up stuff, checking plugs/gaps, and restoring factory settings....check the TPS voltage too.