I need the help of some t-5 experts

Camman

Founding Member
Jan 5, 2000
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,
Recently, like two days ago, my transmission started giving me some problems. I was sitting at a light and I felt a large thump(my radio was up LOUD) and saw my shifter shoot over to the right. I thought my tranny had grenaded, but it was still ok in first gear. After that it was VERY hard to get in and out of both first and second. I adjusted my clutch and it goes into gear fine now. Here is my problem. I have a BAD vibration under load, and it is even WORSE on decel. It only hits in first and second really noticebly, but on my drive home tonite I could feel it in 4th and 5th as well, third is still smooth. I think it is getting worse. The vibration only happens from idle to about 3500 rpm. If I am on it hard it feels like my motor is about to explode, but as soon as it hits 3500 rpm its really smooth like normal. If I am coasting with the car in first or second, and no pressure on the go pedal it is really bad, then If I push in the clutch the vibration totally goes away. Any idea on what this might be? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Check out your harmonic balancer really good. The outer ring will shift when the rubber material between the two pieces rots out. Just something to check before pulling the trans, but from you description it sounds like the trans will have to come out for repair or replacement. I would not drive the car in that condition. It could lock the rear wheels up on you and cause an accident when it goes.

Since its smooth in 3rd at all rpms, then its an internal problem in the trans.

I say trans.

Pull it and open it up as soon as possible. The longer you go, the more damage may be done.

Hard to say what it is without looking, but i could venture a few guesses

I thought about the balancer too, but since the vibration goes away when I push the clutch pedal in that thought pretty much exited my mind immedietally. Since I posted this the damn thing started grinding into 2nd and 3rd :) Anyway, I have a used t5 in storage with a broken input shaft, where is the best place to buy a rebuild kit and an input shaft... I will have to inspect the other gears as well since I have no recolection of what they looked like. Thanks for all of the help guys!!

Ebay, can prob pick up an 85-89 spec input shaft for under $50.

Inspect the countergear too. If that's gone, you might as well spend the $200 or so for a 90-93 spec countergear and 2nd and 3rd driven gear.