Idle probs....please Help!

md20

Dec 12, 2004
I just got afr 165's, cobra intake, E303 cam, and bbk unequal shorties. However, when I picked up the car, the first red light i got to it shut off. it is idling at 750, where it used to idle at 1200 or so.

Anyone have any suggestions? Mechanic said it might be the vacuum canister (or something like that) attached to the throttle body. He tapped it a few times and said it might be bad. Also mentioned was that I should get a new fuel pump cause it's "running a little lean."

It was very dangerous when I'm turning onto another freeway going 50 and the engine cuts off. I had to start the car turning w/ no power steering.

• Sponsors (?)

vacuum can attached to the TB? I'm thinking he meant the IAC, and yes, that will definitely cause the car to die-$70 at the parts store

and yes, you probably do need a bigger fuel pump, but in the meantime you can crank up the fuel pressure to about 42 or so-if you have an adj pressure reg...just dont' get on it too much, the new cam, heads, and intake open up the engine and it will need more fuel-try a 190lph pump and invest in some bigger injectors and bigger MAF...

the idle 'should' be commanded to 650 by the computer after about 45 sec of sitting still, but since having a bigger cam will make it lope a little bit, that's not the best idea...with the e cam, you should probably be idling somewhere about 800-900 for better street manners...

there are about a ton of threads on here for those kind of problems, and several HIGHLY knowledgeable veteran 5.0 guys that can help you out, the best thing i could tell you would be to start utilizing the search bar on here...IMHO