if a supercharger fails. how drivable is the car?

bcmbcmbcm

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jan 29, 2003
I am still working on my 331 motor for my Bronco, and while it is tempting to stick on my old 1991 Paxton...I am wondering if it fails will I have full driveability of the truck? Limping home is not an option...I go way way out in the desert so reliability is a must. I am leaning towards a custom cam versus the Elgin E-1017-P that Coast installed when building the motor, and maybe a 50 shot for $hit$ and giggles since if the N20 fails I can still drive the truck. Please advise, I need some reliability out of this powerful mill.

• Sponsors (?)

It'll run. It will probably be dumping a ton of fuel in if it's tuned for the blower. It's pretty rare for a supercharger to break. Generally they just wear out over time. It is possible to grenade one though if you're pushing the limits of the blower, and spinning it to crazy rpm. I would rebuild it to make sure all the internals are in good condition, unless it has very low miles on it. Keep the boost levels reasonable and don't push the limits of the supercharger. Carry a spare blower belt and the tools to change it in case it breaks.

Edit: This was my 100th tech post :banana: