I'm STUPID, can Ford Fix Guages?

Blev

Aug 17, 2003
So. Cal. V-Town
Well…

I ordered the EL-Glo Guages and they didn’t come with the instructions. So rather than going to the website and finding the directions online I decided to do the install minus the instructions. Not that I have ever followed them before, but I wish I would have this time.

To sum it up I popped off the little dials so I could put the new inserts on and put everything back how I THOUGHT they were. Well all my gauges were whacky when I started the car. I managed to get them all back to where they should be (I think) with the exception of my Speedo. I think it’s about 15 miles off but am not sure. The other gauges could also be off a tad too.

So my question is this…
Can Ford somehow reset the entire instrument panel? I also have 3.73’s with a DM SpeedCal that may cause issues for them too. I can deal with the gauges being off a little but DAMN.

HEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I ran into the same issue on my old mustang and they told me i was going to have to purchase a whole new guage pod since they are preset.. the cost was 389.00.

I just ended up living with it..

Blev said:
Well…

I ordered the EL-Glo Guages and they didn’t come with the instructions. So rather than going to the website and finding the directions online I decided to do the install minus the instructions. Not that I have ever followed them before, but I wish I would have this time.

To sum it up I popped off the little dials so I could put the new inserts on and put everything back how I THOUGHT they were. Well all my gauges were whacky when I started the car. I managed to get them all back to where they should be (I think) with the exception of my Speedo. I think it’s about 15 miles off but am not sure. The other gauges could also be off a tad too.

So my question is this…
Can Ford somehow reset the entire instrument panel? I also have 3.73’s with a DM SpeedCal that may cause issues for them too. I can deal with the gauges being off a little but DAMN.

HEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!
check on mustangworld.com in there free mods listing it tells you how to make your odometer go into diagnostic mode and it will give you a digital read out of you correct speed so then just drive down the road set your cruise at 55 or whatever and slap on the needle really easy!!!!!!!!!!

Speedo Shop?

I dont know about where you live, but around detroit (thats where I live) there are like 5 speedo shops that just deal with speedo correction, and all gauges in general. I am sure that would be a lot cheaper than going to Ford, I just dont know if you have anything like that in your area...good luck with that man.

ds02torchgt said:
check on mustangworld.com in there free mods listing it tells you how to make your odometer go into diagnostic mode and it will give you a digital read out of you correct speed so then just drive down the road set your cruise at 55 or whatever and slap on the needle really easy!!!!!!!!!!
Only works for 99 - 00 :( Thanks though, pretty cool stuff for 99 - 00

Do you know how fast your going at a specific RPM? For example, if you know your doing exactly 75 at 2000rpm, then you can do it that way. Bring it up to 2000rpm, then put the needle on at 75mph.

Or get someone here that has 3.73's to check their speed at 2000rpm.

Riley

Skud said:
Do you know how fast your going at a specific RPM? For example, if you know your doing exactly 75 at 2000rpm, then you can do it that way. Bring it up to 2000rpm, then put the needle on at 75mph.

Riley
I read an article at mustangworld that shows a set of guages being installed and they DID remove the needles. I just didn't take a picture to make sure they were back in the right spot. However it does show the proper way to correct the speedo. Once my car is warmed up I'm just under 1000 RPMs normally and that's how it sits now. So I'm going to try what they say about correcting the speedo and cross my fingers and hope it works. Than I will have someone pace me.

Skud said:

Riley

Wouldn't it be safer at a speed a little lower than 75 :shrug: :D

The speedometer isn't hard to get right nor the rpm guage. You just stick them where they're suppost to be based on that little "peg". If you did this, I doubt your speedometer is off. The other 4 guages on the other hand are easy to throw off, I know too. I have Mac white face guages and I let some local shop install them. They messed up the oil pressure and gas guages. Did I mention this was 3 years ago and they're still that way ?:bang:

I would fix them but I'de probably break something lol.

Dark Knight GT said:
The speedometer isn't hard to get right nor the rpm guage. You just stick them where they're suppost to be based on that little "peg". If you did this, I doubt your speedometer is off. The other 4 guages on the other hand are easy to throw off, I know too. I have Mac white face guages and I let some local shop install them. They messed up the oil pressure and gas guages. Did I mention this was 3 years ago and they're still that way ?:bang:

Agreed, the speedo and tach were easy.Set the tach before you start the car, and set the speedo after you start it.Your speedo may be a mile or two an hour off, but shouldn't be any more than that.I guess for the gas gauge you could fill the car up.

Darknight, you haven't fixed them in 3 years? Although it would be a good prank on someone who "thought" they had a full tank of gas.

Dark Knight GT said:

Well setting them at the "peg" doesn't work. I did that the first time and when I plugged them in and turned the key the speedo went to 25 and the tac was at almost 4k, so much for that theory. Then I placed them just under the peg, the tac was perfect but the speedo was off a bit.

My MAIN concerne is the gas guage!! I THINK it's right, but i'm screwed if it isn't.... I guess I can fill it up and than adjust accordingly, I think I'll do that today.

Funny thing is I had my digi cam sitting on the passenger seat and didn't take a before picture. DAMN IT :bang:

Blev said:
Well setting them at the "peg" doesn't work. I did that the first time and when I plugged them in and turned the key the speedo went to 25 and the tac was at almost 4k, so much for that theory. Then I placed them just under the peg, the tac was perfect but the speedo was off a bit.

My MAIN concerne is the gas guage!! I THINK it's right, but i'm screwed if it isn't.... I guess I can fill it up and than adjust accordingly, I think I'll do that today.

Funny thing is I had my digi cam sitting on the passenger seat and didn't take a before picture. DAMN IT :bang:

Well, I'm shocked those idiots got my mph and and rpm guage correct. I know they did because I can pull along side a friend when he's doing exactly 50 and my speedometer matches his. The rpm guage seems to be normal as well because I watched the rpm guage on idle once while some guy was scanning my ECU and the rpms showed on the scanner and it matched the guage.

The gas guage on the other hand is off almost a perfect 1/4 tank. I know that because whenever the guage shows "1/4 tank full", the Low fuel light pops on. The oil guage I know is off because I had the car in at Ford for a warranty repair and they said they noticed that as well. Sucks when ***** like this happens.

GTvert01 said:
Agreed, the speedo and tach were easy.Set the tach before you start the car, and set the speedo after you start it.Your speedo may be a mile or two an hour off, but shouldn't be any more than that.I guess for the gas gauge you could fill the car up.

Darknight, you haven't fixed them in 3 years? Although it would be a good prank on someone who "thought" they had a full tank of gas.

Yup, been that way for alomst 3 years now. Will be three years here in a couple months cause I remember, I bought the guages like a month after I bought the car and I bought the car 3 years ago this month. I don't plan on fixing them myself either at the risk of making things worse. I may have them fixed one day but I've gotten by this long with no problems so I doubt I will.

Dark Knight GT said:
Well, I'm shocked those idiots got my mph and and rpm guage correct. I know they did because I can pull along side a friend when he's doing exactly 50 and my speedometer matches his. The rpm guage seems to be normal as well because I watched the rpm guage on idle once while some guy was scanning my ECU and the rpms showed on the scanner and it matched the guage.

The gas guage on the other hand is off almost a perfect 1/4 tank. I know that because whenever the guage shows "1/4 tank full", the Low fuel light pops on. The oil guage I know is off because I had the car in at Ford for a warranty repair and they said they noticed that as well. Sucks when ***** like this happens.
It does bite BIG time. That's why I'm all about DIY. If I can't do the MOD than I try and find someone who works mainly on mustangs. I'll post some pics of the gauges tonight after I fix them. They look pretty sweet!!

This is why you should take a picture of your gauges WHEN THE CAR IS ON, then install the new ones. Turn your car on then put all the needles on. My speedo is no more then 5mph off and Ive changed out my gauges a couple of times. For the rpms, you can do the mustangworld thing. If your still having trouble let me know. ALSO I have a set of MAC white face gauges for 99-03 GTs. PM if interested.

ds02torchgt said:
Isn't is a little crazy to be f-ing with the needle on the speedo as you're driving 55MPH...?

tangerine said:
just buy the white face gauge cluster from mustangs unlimited. I think they are calibrated also. It is like 200 if you send them your old gauges
or buy them from SpeedHut, pay roughly 90 bucks and just slide them over the needles. That's what I was supposed to do, but the damn instructions didn't come with the product and I was too lazy to look online.

Blev said:
or buy them from SpeedHut, pay roughly 90 bucks and just slide them over the needles. That's what I was supposed to do, but the damn instructions didn't come with the product and I was too lazy to look online.

one other way to get your speedo very accurate is to use a GPS (if you have one cool, if not borrow one from somebody) with a GPS accuracy usually within 20 feet you'll get a very close to real speed. Just today I tested my mustang out at different speeds and found the speedo was correct to +/- 1 mph with 3.73s and 17" tires on my 87 hatch.