Input needed on going to 331

One8Seven

Dec 23, 2008
Okay, let me give you a quick run down. I just bought my second SN95. I lost my first one in the divorce. So I just picked one up for the parts on it. The interior isn't in great shape and the motor has too many miles on it. So when I get back from Iraq, I am going to buy another SN95 with good interior and body.

Now, here is hat I am looking at. I want to strip my current GT of it's performance parts, which I will lis below, and put them on the SN95 I am about to buy. I want to keep it as close to street legal as possible. I am just tired of buddys who run chevy's running their mouths. I am thinking about starting from scratch with a new block. So I was looking at maybe a 331 and building it for Nitrous. I want to know what you guys think being that this would be my first build from scratch.

The parts I will be crossing over will be:
Tremec Tranny
3:73 gears
Baer Bakes
Trick Flow heads
Edelbrock Upper and Lower Intake
Ford E303 (I think) Cam
Full MSD ignition
24lb Injectors
MAF
Long Tube headers
X-Pipe
NX wet shot
I know there is more, I just can't think. So any prefrences or tips will help me out greatly. I think this will also be agood chance to check the heads, tranny and everything out. I want to avoid having to pull anything twice if I don't have to.
Thanks Guys, AJ

• Sponsors (?)

Go 347. Don't give up 16 FREE cubic inches and power. Those are all mild 302 parts so n/a the engine won't make great power BUT on the spray it'll come alive. How about selling the intake/cam and going with a custom cam geared towards n2o and a better intake like a holley. Give the heads a clean up mill along with new valve springs to match the camshaft and new seals.

Damn for not too much more money I just built you a killer :D

Motorsport cam, eww. That E303 will choke the Trick Flow heads. I would go with a custom cam. Baer Brakes are a waste of money IMHO. I think there are brake kits out there that are more reasonably priced, and perform almost as good. Also, not that an NX kit is a bad idea, but our cars definately prefer the dry for small shots. Go to archeat.com or a similiar website and custom build your own dry kit.

Kurt

Hello AJ :)

I'd move on up to a 347 :D
and
I'd go up in size on those inj's ;)

A e-cam in a stroker :eek:

Throwin out the baby with the bath water
Burnin down the barn to get rid of rats
Screen door on a submarine

You get the idea :)

Get some help with that combo cam choice

The ... e cam of fury ... is just too teeny tiny for that combo :Word:

Grady

Okay, guys thaks for the read and input. I may just end up going with a short block from someone like DSSacing, any ideas on that? I see what you guys are saying on 331 to 347.

Hey revhead, I have never actually heard about our cars doing better on the dry shot. Tell me more?

So far, I am looking at... size up with the injectors, 347 over the 331, "better" intake.

Thanks again guys.
AJ

Yeah, dry shot is the way to go if you only want like 150. If you want much more than that it's much easier to go wet. But yeah, the intake on this car is spaghetti. It has a tendancy to trap fuel. The dry kit is simpler and safer. I picked up my NOS dry kit used for $150. I'm sure you can get a similiar deal. I eventually swapped to NX solenoids, because I got tired of rebuilding NOS ones. The NOS ones seem to fail all the time.

Kurt

Rev: Thanks for the heads up.

You guys pretty much have me stuck on a 347. Now I just need to figure out if I am jus going to buy a preassembled small block or what.

You MIGHT get it built locally for less money when you consider shipping costs. I had mine built for about $2400 and that included the taxes, balancer, cut flywheel and MLS head gaskets. It's all forged but the crank. Took him about a week from the time I dropped it off.

That is when I run into the dilema of having someone who I trust put it together. I have been overseas for so long that I do not have anyone right now.

The upside to that is I having someone to hold responsible if things hit the fan.

canfield 195 heads (camshaft innovations is my go to place)
vic jr efi intake
custom cam (camshaft innovations is my go to place)
30lb or larger injectors, wont hurt to go higher.

The parts I will be crossing over will be:
Tremec Tranny (get the 600)
3:73 gears (street car or is ET's more of a concern?) (i put 4.30's in my street car)
Baer Bakes (cobras from American muscle, w/ my discount they are $645, cheapest i have found anywhere)

Full MSD ignition

MAF (PRO M or SCT) (dont be scared of a 90mm!)
Long Tube headers
X-Pipe (get a 3in system)