Installing A Cam B303

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I'm gonna jump in here, now concider that I am not a drag racer or an engine builder, I am a driver. My car is driven, I like my ac, ps, pb and I demand that my vehicle will get through traffic and get out ahead of most of the meatheads that use a vehicle as an appliance, Do you want to go fast or just sound cool? I had a b cam in my 89 gt then I put an e cam then went to stock, drivability suck with both e and b mostly because I didn't know what I was do'n. I knew what I wanted, just was not informed enought to get there with an aphabet cam. Some will say aphabet cams are so 90's and they are right but they can be useful.
So what do you want your car tto do, taste great (out perform something other than a prius) or less filling ( sound cool with a choppy idle but it drives like crap)?
Tell us what you got now and then listen and learn, take notes, test on monday.
And welcome to stangnet. The right place for the right time.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I'm gonna jump in here, now concider that I am not a drag racer or an engine builder, I am a driver. My car is driven, I like my ac, ps, pb and I demand that my vehicle will get through traffic and get out ahead of most of the meatheads that use a vehicle as an appliance, Do you want to go fast or just sound cool? I had a b cam in my 89 gt then I put an e cam then went to stock, drivability suck with both e and b mostly because I didn't know what I was do'n. I knew what I wanted, just was not informed enought to get there with an aphabet cam. Some will say aphabet cams are so 90's and they are right but they can be useful.
So what do you want your car tto do, taste great (out perform something other than a prius) or less filling ( sound cool with a choppy idle but it drives like crap)?
Tell us what you got now and then listen and learn, take notes, test on monday.
And welcome to stangnet. The right place for the right time.[/QUOTE

Yes I definitely want to outperform a prius lol I want performance and throaty

I've always found the B cam to really make it's power in the higher RPM. Under, say, 3500 RPM it was OK. But get over that and it pulled hard.

To say it will work for you all depends on your combo. WHat else is on the car? 5-spd? what rear gears?

I had a B cam in a stock 5.0 several years ago for one reason and one reason only - choppy idle. Driveability was fine though.
Most of my driveability issues were self inflicted, I came here to sort out my issues and it worked, I can even impress some people I know with the info from here (shamless plug).

Yes for the most part, is it stock? Like henry ford stock?
I think you would at least have to get a better gear like a 3.55 or 3.73.
And remember, what goes in has to come out so a set of shrty headers will help, don't gut the emissions stuff, will not help despite what others tell you.

5spd it's stock gears

B cam is a pretty mild cam and will work well in relatively stock applications. Ensure to check PVC if possible, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Stock gears isn't really a helpful answer, we're inferring on what the ratio you have is: 2:73s,3.08s, 3.27s,3.55s, or 3.73s?

You can find this on your door tag and tag on the rear-end. Honestly it will work with any of them. However, that cam like the F & X likes to wake up later in RPMs (compared to stock) so you need a steeper gear to maximize your performance and drivability IMO.

It will work fine with even stock gears. You won't see any performance increase though. I drove mine with 2.73 gears for a short time(the combo sucked-no lowend torque). But it drove fine. After an intake,exhaust,and especially gears the combo ran a lot better(picked up 1 sec in 1/4). It also cruised considerably better also. I highly recommend a gear change(3.55-3.73)

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, need some info on what you got. 3.73 gears are not stock. Now its got smog deleted, next you gonna tell us its a 306 with a carb.
The people on here can and will help you, they just require some info.
Stock block 5.0
Trans
Gears
Intake stock?
Tb stock?
Mas air or sd
Shoe size helpful for future reference, oh and pics for some reason we like pics, its a drool factor thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, need some info on what you got. 3.73 gears are not stock. Now its got smog deleted, next you gonna tell us its a 306 with a carb.
The people on here can and will help you, they just require some info.
Stock block 5.0
Trans
Gears
Intake stock?
Tb stock?
Mas air or sd
Shoe size helpful for future reference, oh and pics for some reason we like pics, its a drool factor thing.

I get off work in a couple hours I'll update everything. As far as knowing what to do I'm a Newby so I apologize, and I'll upload pics

Seems like a lot of work to go through just for a little "lump" in the idle. To be honest, with an all stock (or mostly stock) engine, it'll probably slow you down. If you weren't getting the cam for free I'd suggest you look around for something else. Even still, I would consider selling that cam and investing the money into a more modern dual pattern grind that will retain your torque curve. There are far better options I would consider before and alphabet cam. A comp cam XE258HR comes to mind.....or even an XE264HR if you did the top end with it. You should be able to find either one used in the $150 price range.

Doing that B-cam alone, you can count on picking up 3-4 hp up top and losing in the neighborhood of 20lbs ft/tq in the lower regions of your power curve. That translates into a lazy streetcar. Doesn't sound very appealing does it?

Regardless of which can you choose, I did look into doing the heads and intake at the same time at the very least. Especially since you're going to have half the top end of the motor apart installing that cam anyway.

On the other hand, the typical Explorer top end, (GT40 heads/Intake and throttle body) in conjunction with a decently matched cam will yield far more satisfying results then just the camshaft alone.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to these naysayers. The B cam is the finest piece of camshaft technology man ever created. I heard NASA and Ford worked secretly on the B cam during the cold war to power our F4 fighters.. Carol Shelby used the B cam in all of his Daytona Shelby cars that beat Ferrari at Lemans. Bet you didn;t know that!. I wouldn't hesitate to install the mighty B cam in any Ford motor- from a 4 cycliner to a 460 big block. Like magic, the B cam makes any engine an instant dynamo. Youd be crazy to use any other cam. I wish I could install two of them in my Mustang at the same time.

Reactions: 2 users