Intake mods

01Steeda

May 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
I have seen that CAI's and TB's/Plenums dont really yieled much gain on a stock car. I will have alot of work done to my engine (read Sig) when I get it back, would a CAI, 75mm TB and good plenum help me significatly(sp) more? or will I still see minimal (3-6hp) gains from them?

My tuner told me he didnt see the point in them until you start to get to the 400 FWHP range. Well I hope to be pushing close to it, so should I get them now? and when I do, will I need a bigger MAF?

• Sponsors (?)

For a stock or near stock car, your probably right they really arent worth it too much. Put you already have heads + cams, you're gonna have full exhaust, gears and a built engine with a 100 shot. The intake/plenum/tb is all that is left. Makes no sense to do everything else and leave the intake all corked up. If you got a dyno before/after installing these, I'd be willing to be you will see pretty good numbers actually because the rest of your engine can actually do something with that air.

a TB/Plenum is worth it on a mildly modded car. I just installed mine last weekend and definitely noticed a difference. Not night and day difference, but the car revs a bit quicker and pulls a little harder in the mid-upper rpm range.

I'd do it with your mods, especially with the heads.

if your looking for a bang for a buck on an intake then do what i did. I all had done was straight pipe going into 40 series flows and dumped with a 87mm pro-m MAF and a 75mm ported and polished TB from BBK. I dynoed 239.4 RWHP and 278.3 RWTQ. I am still to this day using a stock filter changing it every 6000 miles.

Well I think I am going to start with a 75mm TB and a CAI. I have a home ported plenum, until I can afford a better one. Should I need another tune right after i put this on.. or can I put it off a few weeks? If i have to get it done right away ill just wait until I have all 3 parts and the money for the tune.