Intakes that require a tune

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
Why do they require a tune? I know the MAF tube is larger. Do you install the stock MAF into the larger tube? That would require a tune.

What size is the stock 4.0 MAF? How about the TB? If they are the same size, how is a larger MAF tube helping?

What size is the GT MAF and TB? Are they the same size or mismatched?

Intakes dont seem to add much hp. Im trying to figure out why.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have more air coming into the engine, you need more fuel. You have to keep the air/fuel ratio correct for the car to run right. That's the simplified explanation, I'm sure someone else will come along and add a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo and big words and make me feel dumb. :lol:

Ok, but if the TB and MAF tube are the same size, increasing just the MAF tube will not put more air into the engine.

Im running the stock intake. I want to do some research before I buy.

It seems that they are mostly for cosmetics.

I like a stock look. I dont want an open element filter. Im still waiting to see if Volant comes through with an 05 system.

The stock air box actually does quite well... up to about 4,000 RPM... that is when you'll feel your car pull a little stronger with an good aftermarket intake kit..

Ok... the car's computer calculates the amount of air coming in based on the size of the MAF housing, using the MAF sensor... Now if you change the MAF housing size you'll throw off the air volume calculation. The car's computer will actually think there is LESS air flowing than there really is... when that happens the car's computer actually supplys to little gas causing the car to run lean. To lean and you'll get a CEL..

Here's the dyno showing my stock air box vs the C&L... and while the dyno only shows about a 6RWHP it seem to make a noticable difference on the street over my old MMR... I think the dyno doesn't tell you everything... LOL

cnl_dyno1.jpg

scrming said:
The stock air box actually does quite well... up to about 4,000 RPM... that is when you'll feel your car pull a little stronger with an good aftermarket intake kit..

Ok... the car's computer calculates the amount of air coming in based on the size of the MAF housing, using the MAF sensor... Now if you change the MAF housing size you'll throw off the air volume calculation. The car's computer will actually think there is LESS air flowing than there really is... when that happens the car's computer actually supplys to little gas causing the car to run lean. To lean and you'll get a CEL..

Here's the dyno showing my stock air box vs the C&L... and while the dyno only shows about a 6RWHP it seem to make a noticable difference on the street over my old MMR... I think the dyno doesn't tell you everything... LOL

The C&L made 6 more RWHP than the MMR? Or am I reading that totally wrong?

Excepcion13 said:
The C&L made 6 more RWHP than the MMR? Or am I reading that totally wrong?

that dyno is the stock air box vs a C&L with just fuel added, not a performance tune...

The C&L was about 3RWHP better tahn the MMR...

here's the C&L vs the MMR:

mmr_CL.jpg

I also noticed that the dyno does tell the whole story... the C&L seemed to perform noticably better on the street... more