Interesting notes in how newer cars take time to adjust to new mods- dyno results

OK, so we have this supercruise, and it ends here at...well you all know where I work...

so we give away a catback system, and decide to install it there on the spot, and dyno the car before and after to show the gains......

The car- a stock 03 Cobra-

Baseline

370rwhp

Install catback

Dyno run 1
382rwhp

let car cool off

Dyno Run 2
383rwhp

let car cool off, drive the car at 3000RPM for 3 minutes

Dyno run 3
386 rwhp

let car cool off

Dyno run 4
389rwhp

drive car around a bit

Dyno run 5
393rwhp

We stopped there, but it was interesting to see the dyno numbers go up and up each dyno run.

Based on previous experience, two more runs would have gotten us to about 395-397rwhp

Also side notes- They decided to see how fast they could install a catback last night- they started with the car on the ground and had the car back on the ground again with the catback on in under 18 minutes.....

Whats really interesting about this, is you see so many dyno comparisons, but you wonder if they dyno the car 8 times with each set up or only once or twice....

Interesting stuff......

Now before someone tries to flame me, these dyno runs were done at a Mustang show we had here, with 143 Mustangs in attendance (well over 300 people), and was done to a random vehicle owned by someone who won the catback....

If that is not standing behind your numbers, I dont know what is-

I have not mentioned the name of my company, as I thought this was interesting tech.

• Sponsors (?)

DBMSTNG said:
23rwhp from just a cat back? even on an 03 Cobra that sounds inflated.

Like I said, we did this in front of well over 300 Mustang enthusiasts, at a car show, with a randomly selected car...basically he won an auction.....

I know the numbers sound high, I think its one of those things where you have to see it to believe it, but that is why we do this everytime we have an open house, so that people can see it with their own eyes,

so they can see we are not, icing the intake, running it with the A/C on, or any other trick to inflate the numbers-

The problem with disconnecting the battery, is that it resets the computer back to stock specifications, so even if you disconnect the battery, the car will still think it has the stock exhaust on it.....

The only way to let the computer adjust is to drive the car.

For this reason, you never want to disconnect the battery on a modded car right before you race it...as it will be set back to stock computer settings....

The catback will not make more power once it is broken in, it is all in the computer adjusting to the flow of the exhaust.....

Sometimes the sound though, can be deceiving as when the car makes more noise, it can make you think it is faster then it actually is....

That's the bummer about dyno-ing a car.

Each run the car gets stronger and stronger, and by the end of 3 pulls it leaves you wondering how high you could get.

Each time I've been tempted to throw another $45 at the tech and tell him to run 3 more before unstrapping the car.

Matt

Ive read somewhere that the 03 cobras have extremely restricive mufflers in order to pass the sound standards, due to the additional noise of the supercharger. Maybe an explanation.........

GNN60GT500 said:
Like I said, we did this in front of well over 300 Mustang enthusiasts, at a car show, with a randomly selected car...basically he won an auction.....

I know the numbers sound high, I think its one of those things where you have to see it to believe it, but that is why we do this everytime we have an open house, so that people can see it with their own eyes,

so they can see we are not, icing the intake, running it with the A/C on, or any other trick to inflate the numbers-

The problem with disconnecting the battery, is that it resets the computer back to stock specifications, so even if you disconnect the battery, the car will still think it has the stock exhaust on it.....

The only way to let the computer adjust is to drive the car.

For this reason, you never want to disconnect the battery on a modded car right before you race it...as it will be set back to stock computer settings....

The catback will not make more power once it is broken in, it is all in the computer adjusting to the flow of the exhaust.....

Sometimes the sound though, can be deceiving as when the car makes more noise, it can make you think it is faster then it actually is....
:nice:

Oh man I cant believe you idiots believe this guy. He probably works for magnaflow. Hey magnaflow dude stop posting all this BS. There is seriously something wrong with that dyno. How can it go from a 10rwhp gain to a 23rwhp gain in a few minutes? Only 23rwhp? ahahhahahahha. Put a densecharger on an 03 cobra and you get 25rwhp. Dont waste my time. Where's the results on a regular 2v? Seems like you should have posted those awhile back, but they never appeared. Pretty convenient. Later.

DHGBullitt4.6 said:
Oh man I cant believe you idiots believe this guy. He probably works for magnaflow. Hey magnaflow dude stop posting all this BS. There is seriously something wrong with that dyno. How can it go from a 10rwhp gain to a 23rwhp gain in a few minutes? Only 23rwhp? ahahhahahahha. Put a densecharger on an 03 cobra and you get 25rwhp. Dont waste my time. Where's the results on a regular 2v? Seems like you should have posted those awhile back, but they never appeared. Pretty convenient. Later.

Yes he works for magnaflow and GNN60GT500 has also been on this site alot longer than you. He posts valid and true information with no BS advertising stuff. You need to learn who and who not to criticize on this site. :nonono: