Roush Intermittent Sarting Problems

HottSALEEN

Feb 7, 2007

I hope someone could help with my 2006 Mustang Saleen. Possibly someone else is having the same problem. I bought my Saleen brand new. It's a S281, not the supercharged model. Also it's and automatic. The car currently has 1,700 sum miles on it.
The Saleen has intermittent starting problems. The car has sat 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks 3 weeks 1 month and wouldn't start. Sometimes everything is dead. Other times the lights work, the radio and a clicking noise when trying to start the engine. Always take it to the dealership. They have replaced the alternator and battery. In October they replaced the battery and it seemed fixed. I tested the car by letting it sit short periods and long periods at a time. Examples: 1 week, 2,weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks and each time it would start. Then after 2 1/2 weeks it wouldn't start again. This time everything was dead. The Ford Dealership has had it 3 times now. In fact they now have it the 4th time. Not sure if they have enough knowledge to fix it or not. I would appreciate any feed back I could get on this problem.
Here is my website address: [email protected]

Thank you,

Crystal/06Saleen#79

• Sponsors (?)

I am sure that someone else will give you more specific information but this is a known issue for your car. It seems that the problems deals with an amp draw from the radio even when it is turned off. Here is a post that is from another forum that talks about this issue.

Quite a few regular Mustang GT's had this problem, there are TSB's related to it. The other possible battery drain problem is with the Shaker systems not cutting power to the amps when you allow the radio to turn off by opening the door. The bandaid solution is to manually power off the radio before you get out of the car. Hope this helps.

Here is more: "after doing a voltage test on every single fuse, there was a 1.4 miliamp draw on the radio and amp fuse, and also after the vehicle had been shut down after 40 min. the shaker 500 became activated and attempted to scan for CD's and both the technician and myself made certain that everything was turned off, during the 40 min. that the car was shut down. so what they did next was pull the shaker 500 out, recheck the same fuses a second time, and yet even with the shaker 500 pulled out, after another 40 min. the radio fuse was still drawing 1.4 miliamps again, so after not being able to figure out what else could be connected to that fuse...the service manager finally got a hold of a Ford engineer, and was told that the amp has to also be disconnected, otherwise there will still be current going through the radio fuse, even if its shut off, and although this did not make any sense.. it seemed that he was right, there was no current drawn after disconnecting the amp... It was then determined that it was the shaker 500 that was the cause, so they went ahead and installed a replacement shaker 500 C and needless to say, after nearly 5 months later...my car has sat for sometimes 3 weeks and haven't had any furthur battery issues."

I have the same issues. Get a battery maintainer and like the advice said, shut the radio down before you turn the car off. I plan on replacing the Shaker 500 to eliminate the issue with an aftermarket stereo. Hopefully Ford will step up and get a fix out there to remedy this permanently.

i have a buddy with an 05 roush convertible and he has had this very same problem. His dealer installed the battery maintainer. This is a band-aid and does not fix the problem. I'm not sure what the dealer does to diagnose this problem but I know what I would do... you need 2 poeple and a test light. I will post more later....
I have to go do some work....

Like Jonsey said the best thing you can do is make sure the stereo is turned off before you turn the car off. It will most likely fix your problem until Ford issues a TSB on it or get rid of the "Skipper 500".

I am sure that someone else will give you more specific information but this is a known issue for your car. It seems that the problems deals with an amp draw from the radio even when it is turned off. Here is a post that is from another forum that talks about this issue.

:nice: Thanks for the feed back. I need all the help I can get.
Note: The dealership still has my car.

HotSALEEN:0)

:SNSign:
I have the same issues. Get a battery maintainer and like the advice said, shut the radio down before you turn the car off. I plan on replacing the Shaker 500 to eliminate the issue with an aftermarket stereo. Hopefully Ford will step up and get a fix out there to remedy this permanently.

:nice: On another Mustang Forum, they also mentioned the Shaker 500. It's crazy something that small could drain a battery like that. Thanks for the tip. Ford should do a recall on the Shaker 500 and install something else.

Thank you,

HottSALEEN:0)

i have a buddy with an 05 roush convertible and he has had this very same problem. His dealer installed the battery maintainer. This is a band-aid and does not fix the problem. I'm not sure what the dealer does to diagnose this problem but I know what I would do... you need 2 people and a test light. I will post more later....
I have to go do some work....

:hail2: Hey! Thanks for the feed back. Battery maintainer, yes it is a band-aid fix. I told the dealership no band-aid fixes. Either it gets fixed or I lemon it out. Right now I feel my dream car is my nightmare car. It's so depressing when you spend all that money to have these problems.

Thank you,

Like Jonsey said the best thing you can do is make sure the stereo is turned off before you turn the car off. It will most likely fix your problem until Ford issues a TSB on it or get rid of the "Skipper 500".

:SNSign: If just turning off the stereo, prior to shutting the car off works, I'll be a happy camper. The thing is the car runs great, when it starts. What is a TSB???

Thanks,

:rolleyes: Question??? What's the difference with the Shaker 500 and Shaker 500 C? Seems the 500 C solved this persons problem.

This is the latest on my 06 Saleen:
Had my car towed to the dealership on Jan 31st. They have had it ever since. Told them if they don't fix it, I'll use the Lemon Law. After not hearing from them and leaving messages, I payed a surprise visit. Seems they are now involving Saleen on the problem. Saleen finally contacted them back. They are going to replace thee alternator and put a smaller pulley belt. The type of pulley belt they use on supercharger Mustangs. Something about the alternator not putting out enough amps to keep the battery charged. You buy a new car so you don't have to hassle with problems. Boy! Guess I was wrong. Will let you know the out come.
Note: They have already replaced the alternator once.

Thank you,

What is a TSB???
Is a technical service bulletin- issued when a problem is identified, it aids the technicians in identifying the problems with vehicles.

Question??? What's the difference with the Shaker 500 and Shaker 500 C? Seems the 500 C solved this persons problem.
It is like having Windows XP and then downloading Service Patch 1, it is supposed to be an improvement.

I hate to see them doing that extra work to your car when the problem is probably just the radio.

Is a technical service bulletin- issued when a problem is identified, it aids the technicians in identifying the problems with vehicles.

It is like having Windows XP and then downloading Service Patch 1, it is supposed to be an improvement.

I hate to see them doing that extra work to your car when the problem is probably just the radio.

:nice: Thanks again for your response. I did send the information you gave me via E-Mail to the dealership, about the radio. Seems there going to first look at the radio before doing anything else. Explained to them when I couldn't start the car, the Shaker 500 went nuts. Told them it started scanning for CD's. Hoping thanks to you, they will replace the Shaker 500 with a Shaker 500 C.

Thanks for explaining also about what a TSB is. You have been more help than you know. I'm very impressed with your knowledge and helpfulness. Thanks once again.

HottSALEEN:0):)

:nice: Thanks again for your response. I did send the information you gave me via E-Mail to the dealership, about the radio. Seems there going to first look at the radio before doing anything else. Explained to them when I couldn't start the car, the Shaker 500 went nuts. Told them it started scanning for CD's. Hoping thanks to you, they will replace the Shaker 500 with a Shaker 500 C.

Thanks for explaining also about what a TSB is. You have been more help than you know. I'm very impressed with your knowledge and helpfulness. Thanks once again.

HottSALEEN:0):)
I learned most of what I relayed from the various mustang forums, so the thanks goes to the people that make these forums work, I hope things workout for you.

I learned most of what I relayed from the various mustang forums, so the thanks goes to the people that make these forums work, I hope things workout for you.

<>:nice: Still want to thank you again, for taking the time to get the information from the forums to help me. Will keep you posted on the outcome. They still have my car at the dealership.

Thank you,

HottSALEEN:hail2: