is 180* t stat worth it??

• Sponsors (?)

If you live in a hot state, it probably is worth it. For me, the temp did go down a letter in the word "normal" on the gauge. Probably wouldn't have changed it, but it was 5 years old and was taking it out to change the NPI intake to PI intake.

it will run slightly cooler on the highway or back road but in town mine didnt make a difference , fans are set 10 degrees lower already but I might get them knocked down 10 more degrees and see if that helps mine stay where it does on the highway ....which is about 1 notch lower than stock ....

i had one on my 98gt last year & it did run cooler, but just on the highway. if you would sit in traffic it would get just as hot as normal. in order to take advantage of the thermostat, you need to get the fans to come on at a lower temperature. you can do it by either getting a manual switch, or you can have it done by way of a programmer or chip :nice:

no kit that i know of. the fan has a high speed and a low speed wire. i just hotwired the lowspeed and hooked it to a heavy duty switch in the car very simple to do. and works great at the track. usually i sit in line for about half an hour with it on the whole time. and it really cools it down.

I added one just yesterday to the car when all those parts went in. EEC DOC(The guy doing the install) built a program for my car with his SCT tuning package on his laptop. He adjust everything so the fan would come on sooner and the 180 degree thermostat would work at its best. On the road test, we got it up to normal operating temperature and the motor ran usually at no more than 192 degrees. Pretty good.

DBMSTNG said:
go to the local autoparts store and ask for a 180* t-stat for a 4.6L thunderbird. it's like $5. for some odd reason they can't find one if you ask for a Mustang t-stat.
Because 4.6L mustangs never had a 180 only trucks tbirds and lightnings.

it def sounds like a good idea to have a manual fan switch, but 2 questions... when its turned off does it just run as it normaly would or does it not come on, and 2 im just getting into cars so understand but if you ran your fan at low for 30 min. before the run at the track getting it pretty cool would you run any risk of *****in up the engine going from a nice cool engine to a hot engine? because ive been told u gotta let the engine warm up before you tool on it...

I have one and I have my fan wired to a switch. Theres a wire in the passenger side kick panel that you tap into and put it to a switch that'll ground it. It turns the fan on when you have the key 'on'. I wanted it for the track as well. 180* tstat didn't make any difference. Might as well do it, especially if you're gonna get a new one anyways. you can also drill a hole or two in it to cool it slightly more. I'll look for the link when I get back tonight