Is 4.30 gears too much?

frey_gt

Nov 15, 2005
Williamsburg,Oh
I have a 96 GT 5- speed and I have a set of 4.30 gears to put in it. My question is, is the gears going to hurt the car more than help it? I see alot people running 4.10's in 2V's. The car is pretty much stock, BBK cold air intake, 75mm Holley throttle body, Trick Flow upper and a h-pipe with Flow Masters. I do have set of P.I. heads and cams but that will be later on once I have the money to get the heads ported. How would the 4.30's do with the P.I. heads and cams?

• Sponsors (?)

My plans right now is n/a. I just want to see how fast I can get the car with fully ported heads and a good set cams with suspension and a strong manual tranny and as much weight as I can take out of the car.

well heck if you are going cams then 4.30s will be a very very nice gear because then you just raise the limiter and then the 4.30s will be nice cause it will get ya in that power band very quickly and keep you there.

My plans right now is n/a. I just want to see how fast I can get the car with fully ported heads and a good set cams with suspension and a strong manual tranny and as much weight as I can take out of the car.

If those are your plans and you stick to it, 4.30's would be a good gear for you. I know somone with a 97 cobra with 4.30's and they are awesome in his car, but he also has another 1,000rpm to work with.

4.30 gears is too much for an NPI car. The powerband is way shorter than a PI car.

yea i agree its too much gear for a NPI car because they dont breathe as well up top like the PI cars. but if he caries out his plans of ported heads and a nice cam then 4.30s will be nice with a higher rev limter. If you keep the stock limiter then 4.30s will still probably be too much and a 4.10 would be better because u would be shifting too much and not really using the full power band.

Thanks for the replys everyone. But that is my main plan right now to just run n/a. I just hope my bottom end holds up. I was going to go ahead and put the 4.30's in with 31 spline axels and I already have the 31 spline carrier. I was going to do this all at once and get it over with. Then after that get my P.I. heads ported and a set of cams.

Your t-45 trans has a .67 overdrive as compared to the .62? tr-3650. As far as living with the gears, I think you will be fine. My 02 runs around 2700rpm at 70mph. You would probably be around the 3000 range.... (im guessing). Problem is, a non-PI 96 GT isnt going to make great use of the higher RPMS. If it were my car, i would install them regardless. :)

I just had 4.56's put after my 4.10's chucked a ring bolt. i have a 98 and i love them i just need better tires now. also have PI cams and intake. not a d/d. right at 3000 rpms in 5th at 70 mph.

Your gears are not very usefull unless you're planning on a serious power and 28 inch tall rubber, or like to play in the mud.

The 4.30's with my non P.I. heads and cams will only be for a short while. I would say around the end of summer I will be able to get the heads ported and buy some big nasty cams.

you're going to hurt your performance unless your running a 15 inch tire and launch high at the track.

the gear is a streetable gear, as proven by some of the top NA guys that drove their car daily with 4.30's, as Bill Putnam did. Its just not going to provide you with any benefit on the street over 4.10's. Just depends on if its a track car that is driven on the street, or a street car that sees the track on occasions. 4.10's in a 5 speed NPI is plenty gear, you just run out of usable rpms so quickly with them or anything more.

Check your PM's.