is a 4 inch pipe too big??

• Sponsors (?)

going from the filter in the fender to the mass air meter? would I notice any gains or losses by doing so?

I don't have hard data so my info here is just what seems logical to me.

A 4" pipe might be needed for a forced combo

A 4" pipe might be needed for a big inch stroked Windsor

A 4" pipe seems an over kill for a typical h/c/i 302-306 NA combo to me

I don't think it would hinder performance however

Grady

What would be your thoughts if one had their maf in the fender :shrug:

Grady

I was at first inclined to say that it would help as it would be cooler in the fender well. Now that I have thought about it more, I would have to say that it wouldnt matter what so ever. My reasoning for this is that the sensor does not meter cool or hot air. It meters air in voltage coming across the coils inside the sensor. If this would be a big difference then engineers at GM & Ford would have placed it in there from the factory.
Again, this is my reasoning and I could be totally wrong.

Air filter in fenderwell + maf sensor in stock location = increased hp for engine
MAF sensor in fenderwell = same cool air going into engine metered the same as it would sitting in the engine compartment.

I was at first inclined to say that it would help as it would be cooler in the fender well. Now that I have thought about it more, I would have to say that it wouldnt matter what so ever. My reasoning for this is that the sensor does not meter cool or hot air. It meters air in voltage coming across the coils inside the sensor. If this would be a big difference then engineers at GM & Ford would have placed it in there from the factory.
Again, this is my reasoning and I could be totally wrong.

Air filter in fenderwell + maf sensor in stock location = increased hp for engine
MAF sensor in fenderwell = same cool air going into engine metered the same as it would sitting in the engine compartment.

The only reason I asked that was because it seemed to be implied that was the
only way one could setup the air intake/maf system :shrug:

As for the temps ... It goes without saying if ambient temp is cool ......

You are gonna make more hp by drawing air from the fender
as opposed to
Drawing air from the engine compartment.

Grady

I gotcha :nice:

I hope it was not my reply that sent the implications?
Because I fully agree there are various ways to set it up so that it works in conjunction and benefits the overall performance of the vehicle.

Later

I think it would help....you dont want an intake tube the size of your throttle body, you want a larger one, it causes restriction like sucking though a straw even its the same size as the t/b. However, i bet power gains are minimal over say 3"

I gotcha :nice:

I hope it was not my reply that sent the implications?
Because I fully agree there are various ways to set it up so that it works in conjunction and benefits the overall performance of the vehicle.

Later

No problem or anything like that :D

I just kinda wanted to point out there are options or variations to the
whole ebay or store bought method ... thats all.

Grady

i run a Full CAI fox style 4 inch. made it myself.

if you want to swing by sometime this week (i'm working midnights this week) we can swap mine on to yours. we'll just swap the filter to maf section like you wanted. go for a little test run so you can see how it effects your SOTP meter.

then maybe we can swap your bassani X-pipe for my ****ty H LOL

this way we can finally check out each others cars