Is it feasible to mount a tow hitch and a motorcycle carrier like this on a GT vert?

eKx4P.jpg
1qScX.jpg

View attachment 204327 View attachment 204328

:rolleyes:

- Hidden Hitch Class I: Ford Mustang Hidden Hitch Hitches - JCWhitney
- Bike carrier: RHMC1 - Motorcycle Towing Cradle - Tow Motorcycle Behind Vehicle
- KLR 650 Dual Sport (400lbs) Kawasaki KLR650 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Couple more cradles:

Motorcycle Caddy receiver hitch motorcycle towing accessory

Motorcycle Trailer.com

• Sponsors (?)

I would be wary about towing anything w/at least the SN-95s, b/c the rear ends are not exactly what one would call stable.

Please explain. They were the first Mustangs to start coming with IRS, right? Wasn't the very purpose of that added stability?

And a 400 lb Kawasaki KLR is less than half the Mustang's 1,000 lb towing capacity. A Suzuki DR650 at 320 lbs is less than a third.

What would you be worried could happen?

Please explain. They were the first Mustangs to start coming with IRS, right? Wasn't the very purpose of that added stability?

And a 400 lb Kawasaki KLR is less than half the Mustang's 1,000 lb towing capacity. A Suzuki DR650 at 320 lbs is less than a third.

What would you be worried could happen?

I mean if you drive carefully, you probably could pull the tow off, thats just me, I've had my rear sway a bit, that just makes me a little nervous. I would worried about jack knifing, you be should be fine w/towing, I guess.

The only mustang with IRS is still the 03-04 cobra. But I don't think that has much bearing on towing capability.

Personally, I don't see any problem with towing up to the recommendations from Ford. As for this particular setup, my only concern would be the drivetrain of the motorcycle. I don't know much about motorcycles, but it usually isn't a good idea to tow vehicles by their drive wheels, even in neutral. Because the drive wheel is spinning, everything up to the clutch is spinning and may or may not be getting good lubricant...

Personally, I don't see any problem with towing up to the recommendations from Ford. As for this particular setup, my only concern would be the drivetrain of the motorcycle. I don't know much about motorcycles, but it usually isn't a good idea to tow vehicles by their drive wheels, even in neutral. Because the drive wheel is spinning, everything up to the clutch is spinning and may or may not be getting good lubricant...

Yeah, I figured as much too, but living in San Francisco doesn't really allow for having a full blown bike trailer and for a car that cost me $5,000 and a bike that will likely cost $1,500 it kinda seems worth giving it a try. And most of the off road places I'd be towing it to are less than an hour away from here anyway.

I suck at Photoshop but this was fun to make:

0ilQb.jpg

As long as the mount mounts to the frame, you should be fine. If you are talking about a dirt bike though, I might invest in a cheap trailer instead. Either way, tow with the back wheel up in the air and lock the handlebars to reduce wear on the chain.

Buddy of mine tows a small trailer with a motorcycle on it with his 350z. Just take it easy every twitch you make in the steering wheel will be amplified by the trailer. You are going to have a hard time backing up with that bike attached by the front wheel. Jackknife it and you destroy the forks. Keep an eye out for a used small bike trailer. Also dirt tire will not last long if towed on the street.