Is It Worth To Pay For The Sync $75 Plan

Michael93

Jul 7, 2012
I know hands free music and calling is free, but you have to pay for the hands free texting, turn by turn directions, weather, traffic, and report. Do they all work pretty well? Is it worth it? I have a 2013 Mustang V6 basic

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

It all depends on your needs and how much you use the services. For me, I let the paid service go in the Focus--but that was all of 6 months gratis with the new car. With the Mustang being 3 years, I might find more use (then I'll end up having to get it for both cars).

I mainly used the navigation, and they were ok. The ability to do a route search on Google maps & send it to the linked phone & have that ready when you got in the car was nice. However, I found that it tended to get a little confused at times. Mainly in complex freeway interchanges and it basically gave up in the Rose Bowl area in Pasadena (thankfully, I still keep the old paper maps as backup). I've since gotten a nav app on my tablet & use that now.

I really need to explore the other services this time around.

Yes it is worth it. I use or have used all the functions. If you have an iPhone or android and don't use Sync you're crazy. Your eyes never have to leave the road and your hands never have to leave the wheel.

There's two parts to Sync. You have the Bluetooth, hands-free, and voice recognition part. That will always be there. But, there is also the Services section which is a paid service. The Sync package overall is absolutely worth the money--after getting it in the Focus, it became a requirement for the Mustang. It's the paid subscription service that is in question. I know for me it's still falling on the "no" side; I will see as time goes on after trying to use more of it than I did with the Focus.

Yes it is worth it. I use or have used all the functions. If you have an iPhone or android and don't use Sync you're crazy. Your eyes never have to leave the road and your hands never have to leave the wheel.

Absolutely! Because after all... That's why we buy Mustangs... So we can keep up with all our Facebook peeps while on the road. :O_o:

:leaving:

Who said anything about surviving? The question was asked if it is worth it. I said yes and apparently you disagree. You just have to be childish about it. I don't know. Maybe you aren't smart enough to use it? Maybe you don't like technology? Maybe you're just a jerk? Whatevs'. I don't really care.

Who said anything about surviving? The question was asked if it is worth it. I said yes and apparently you disagree. You just have to be childish about it. I don't know. Maybe you aren't smart enough to use it? Maybe you don't like technology? Maybe you're just a jerk? Whatevs'. I don't really care.

Wow... Defensive much? :O_o:

What ever happened to the days when folks would just roll down the window in order to better hear the rumble of horse power?

Nothing has happened to those days. I love driving with the window down and stepping on it. But you know what? I love the fact that if I need directions somewhere, I don't have to pull over and ask. Or I don't have to punch it into a phone or gps. Just press a button on my steering wheel and say: directions.

Nothing has happened to those days. I love driving with the window down and stepping on it. But you know what? I love the fact that if I need directions somewhere, I don't have to pull over and ask. Or I don't have to punch it into a phone or gps. Just press a button on my steering wheel and say: directions.

Now that's where I disagree... Sure it's nice to have a GPS if you're going to take the wife to a new restaurant and don't know exactly where it is. SYNC isn't necessary for that though. What's more, I cannot PHYSICALLY COUNT the number of idiots on the road during rush hour, that are fiddling with this dash button or that one while doing 75+ down the interstate. It boggles my mind.

What I can count on one hand though... is the number of adults under the age of 40, who are not in the military or aviation, that can read a map. :O_o:

A driving aid is one thing. SYNC is something else all-together.

Do you think it's actually improved anyone's driving?

No I don't think it has improved anyone's driving. It is an aid though. That's all it is IMO. It's one button near your thumb. Not on the dash. You don't even need to take your eyes off the road. I don't know what you have it confused with.

No I don't think it has improved anyone's driving. It is an aid though. That's all it is IMO. It's one button near your thumb. Not on the dash. You don't even need to take your eyes off the road. I don't know what you have it confused with.

I don't think I have it confused with anything. I think it's just another thing to get in the way of the attention that folks should be spending on driving. Sure... if folks would use it the way you depict, then it might lend a margin of safety. At least around here though... :nonono: They fool with Synch, something doesn't work right so they fool with the device it's supposed to linked to, or are sitting there trying to read/comprehend the latest text message or attempting to respond to said text message, or rattling a million miles a minute (hand gestures and all) about the latest gossip from Houswive's of Beverly Hills, or whatever... (wow... that was a run-on sentence)

SYNC isn't the only guilty party of course. I guess I notice it more here because it seems like there's a thread about it every other day. I'd actually swap every unnecessary electronic system in every car since 2001, in favor of the AFR readout on the new GTs. :nice:

Want SYNC to something USEFUL? Make it read EEC codes and send them to my email account with diagnostic information. :nice:

Reactions: 1 user
You might want to check again. SYNC is a free service and all that you mentioned can be done and for free at syncmyride.com and will auto download to the car once you enter it with your phone. The pay service is for live operator calls.
Ah. That's good to know. I was under the impression that pretty much everything under the "Services" menu was part of the pay service.

Sync is a tool & really a luxury one at that. Used properly it can certainly be quite helpful, but I can't argue with Noobz' rant--too many people allowing the infotainment system in their cars to distract them from their primary job of controlling the multi-ton missile down the road. Sigh.

I did play with the traffic yesterday....why haven't I used that before? :bang: Very nice & could be quite the time saver. However, sports scores? Stock quotes? Really? If I need to know that I can wait until I arrive at my destination.

You might want to check again. SYNC is a free service and all that you mentioned can be done and for free at syncmyride.com and will auto download to the car once you enter it with your phone. The pay service is for live operator calls.
Agreed 100%. The Sync Services is FREE FOR LIFE. You only have to pay to talk to a live operator. And you get 60 free live operator sessions when you buy the car... At least I still have 60 left on mine...

From syncmyride.com :

Once a year, we'll remind you to renew your subscription to avoid any disruption to your service. There is no additional charge to renew your SYNC Services subscription.
Vehicles equipped with a SYNC Services subscription are eligible for complimentary Operator Assist sessions,* which provide live support. Packages of additional sessions may be available for purchase, depending on the terms of your subscription.

So just renew every year and you can use it for life....

Nick