Is my stang too old to race???

• Sponsors (?)

Well my friends brother has a C5 that wants to race, at Beach Bend in Bowling Green, KY. I said yea, just for fun, and mentioned it to my dad, but he things that 130,000 on my car is too much to be out drag racing it. He does have a point though, that if something breaks, i wouldnt have that much money to fix it. BTW the car runs great, and the tranny is still very stong.

What do you guys think? is it possible to throw a rod or something like that???

matthiasj said:
Well my friends brother has a C5 that wants to race, at Beach Bend in Bowling Green, KY. I said yea, just for fun, and mentioned it to my dad, but he things that 130,000 on my car is too much to be out drag racing it. He does have a point though, that if something breaks, i wouldnt have that much money to fix it. BTW the car runs great, and the tranny is still very stong.
What do you guys think? is it possible to throw a rod or something like that???

If I were you, I wouldn't be picking fights with c5's just yet. A stock gt vs c5 won't be pretty. But, any racing is fun (at the track of course) and it will give you an idea of where a stock 94-95 is compared to a vette. This way you can mod your car and see where each addtional performance part puts you when you race again. Eventually you'll beat him.

As for braking parts, I highly doubt anything bad will happen. You're not pushing crazy hp yet. I wouldn't worry, just don't rev past 5800 and you should be fine.

My mom has a c5 and I beg her to race me at the track. We just got her a Corsa exhaust for her for christmas. Installed it yesterday, now it sounds badass. I'm trying to get her to race in the spring. We'll see what happends.

I just passed 100k on mine, and sometimes I worry about driving it hard. But then I remember that 5.0s are good for 200k+ and that's with abuse too. Besides, if something breaks, it gives me the chance to upgrade it. :D Heck, I'd race a C5, I'm not scared!! lol, I know I'd get smoked but so what? I just pulled a new best the other night, and you know what I was racing? A low 12 second Nova. lol, I'd say go for it and have some fun.

111,000 here. When I did the H/C/I the cylinders still had honing marks and there wasn't even a ridge at the tops of the cylinders. These engines wear forever...

Not to say you'll be fine, stuff happens but for the most part these engines seem to run forever.

Go for it! It'll be fun.

How up-to-date is your mods list? Add on some subframe connectors (cheap) while you're at it. Gears are nice, too.

I've got over 140,000 miles and just had my oil pan gasket, water pump, and thermostat replaced this summer. Other than that, no major work at all. The motor feels as good as new and doesn't leak one drop (I've got clean cardboard underneath the car just to be sure). I felt a lot better about my engine once I put on the X pipe, fixed the oil leak, and rebuilt the rear end along with gears.

Enjoy!

Car Nut said:
Go for it! It'll be fun.

How up-to-date is your mods list? Add on some subframe connectors (cheap) while you're at it. Gears are nice, too.

I've got over 140,000 miles and just had my oil pan gasket, water pump, and thermostat replaced this summer. Other than that, no major work at all. The motor feels as good as new and doesn't leak one drop (I've got clean cardboard underneath the car just to be sure). I felt a lot better about my engine once I put on the X pipe, fixed the oil leak, and rebuilt the rear end along with gears.

Enjoy!

my mod list is up to date, and right now i'm saving for gears and SFCs. I'd like to work on my suspension some, i'm going to be getting a 5.0 explorer motor, and i hope to have that done by the end of summer, so we might race after i get a new motor and some more power.

Dont forget what can happen to a transmission and the cost it would take to fix/replace... Could happen. If its your daily driver and you dont have a back-up, could put you in a bind

What? I don't understand....

But then I guess some of you would say I drive my car hard everyday.... I consider it taking it easy when I run through the gears at WOT chirping and spinning the tires. Cause I'm not hitting it with the 125 shot of nitrous. :D

I'm on 172,000 miles and I've been juicing for more than 2 years. I wouldn't worry about the engine at all. I would worry more about the tranny (which you say feels fine) and the rear end.

But if you don't rag on the car like most of us, then I don't see why it's even a concern. Hell, your just as likely to break something going down the highway.