Is there a difference in 3G "performance" Alternator 130 amps vs factory replacements 3G 130 amps, amperage wise?

Thank you...

I see PA Performance 3G 130 Amps, state 80 amps at idle and 160 max peak.

LMR says SVE 3G 130 Amps, state 70-100 amps at idle and 160+ peak

MOTORCRAFT 3G 130 Amps GL8711RM can't find any factory info for idle or peak

ACDELCO 3G 130 Amps 3351113 {#88877323} Professional, same no info

same with all other brands 3G 130 Amps, Bosch, WEI, Napa, junk from AutoZone....

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

It's a reliability issue. Nothing works like OEM equipment. I'd take a junk yard Ford 3G Alternator over SVEs 3G.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
The spec I would focus on and I wish they would publish more consistently is amperage produced at idle RPM. Some alternators are better than others at lower RPM.

As for how many amps is needed. For a stockish fox with a mechanical fan, a 95-100A alt is more than enough. With an e-fan, depending on the fan, a 110-130A unit is fine. The 01-04 V6 Mustang with the 6G alt is 110A and that will run everything on that particular car fine, and is more than adequate for a fox.

The need for more amps is really only necessary when you start adding more high-volume fuel pumps, electric water pumps, large stereo, etc.

The spec I would focus on and I wish they would publish more consistently is amperage produced at idle RPM. Some alternators are better than others at lower RPM.

As for how many amps is needed. For a stockish fox with a mechanical fan, a 95-100A alt is more than enough. With an e-fan, depending on the fan, a 110-130A unit is fine. The 01-04 V6 Mustang with the 6G alt is 110A and that will run everything on that particular car fine, and is more than adequate for a fox.

The need for more amps is really only necessary when you start adding more high-volume fuel pumps, electric water pumps, large stereo, etc.
Thanks, I could not find the idle info anywhere also....

I have 255LPH Walbro 8 Amps. Holley Annihilator ignition 8-60 Amps.

I am adding the dual Contour fans with a Derale controller, supposed to soft start and run ratios...

Factory 93 radio and amp ?? Could not find info blower motor and lights of car. My car does not have power windows or locks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I could not find the idle info anywhere also....

I have 255LPH Walbro 8 Amps. Holley Annihilator ignition 8-60 Amps.

I am adding the dual Contour fans with a Derale controller, supposed to soft start and run ratios...

Factory 93 radio and amp ?? Could not find info blower motor and lights of car. My car does not have power windows or locks.

I think 130A would be enough, but it all depends on how you are using the car. The odds of running EVERYTHING on the car are slim. Blower is around 20A, the radio is 80watt (6 amps) the headlights w/parking lights around 20-25A. The efan can vary from 30-50A. It's really going to depend on your usage. If you see yourself actually driving around at night, blasting the heat and tunes with rear defroster on, all while using an Efan and all the other accessories and powering the pump and ignition, then try and go for a higher output alt.

Modern cars are using 175-225a output alternators to power all their accessories, but modern cars are also heavy with electronics. PA performance does have a 200A,

Reactions: 1 user
If you see yourself actually driving around at night, blasting the heat and tunes with rear defroster on, all while using an Efan and all the other accessories and powering the pump and ignition, then try and go for a higher output alt.

It's called Florida. I drive around with everything running plus a bottle heater on 130amp. Never an issue.

Kurt

I think 130A would be enough, but it all depends on how you are using the car. The odds of running EVERYTHING on the car are slim. Blower is around 20A, the radio is 80watt (6 amps) the headlights w/parking lights around 20-25A. The efan can vary from 30-50A. It's really going to depend on your usage. If you see yourself actually driving around at night, blasting the heat and tunes with rear defroster on, all while using an Efan and all the other accessories and powering the pump and ignition, then try and go for a higher output alt.

Modern cars are using 175-225a output alternators to power all their accessories, but modern cars are also heavy with electronics. PA performance does have a 200A,
Thanks was what I was leaning towards....