is this a cracked heater core??

mustangkid2.3

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Piqua, Ohio
ok before i go ripping out the dash to change the heater core i'l ask this to make sure its the problem..i have this white smoke that will come out when the car has been running a bit, and it condinsates on the windows and i have to wipe it off to see, cuz the defrost will just put out more of it..and it doesnt wipe off as easy as water would..its like a little oily?? kinda...could this be a crack in the core?

• Sponsors (?)

def your core! I pity you. :D

It's not hard if you aren't in a rush. There's threads on here for replacing it.

I'd also suggest buying the OEM Ford unit, not a cheap parts store replacement, those are only good a couple years. My OEM Ford unit in the SVO lasted 20 years, 11 years in my LX.

Also ground it (clip on a wire and ground to firewall), and put a small washer into the input hose on the core for a pressure reducer, and it may last forever.

140cilx said:
def your core! I pity you. :D

It's not hard if you aren't in a rush. There's threads on here for replacing it.

I'd also suggest buying the OEM Ford unit, not a cheap parts store replacement, those are only good a couple years. My OEM Ford unit in the SVO lasted 20 years, 11 years in my LX.

Also ground it (clip on a wire and ground to firewall), and put a small washer into the input hose on the core for a pressure reducer, and it may last forever.

Ground it? Interesting theory, is that to stop corrosion? i would fear of making an alkali mix in the core over time and turning it into a battery of sorts and speeding up the corrosion process. Tell me more about this theory..

Dr.