Is this B.S. or not

I'm getting ready to build my motor so I went to my local machine shop to talk about options and cost. For starters I've got a 302 bottom end and was going to reuse everything but the pistons but I was open to getting a rotating asembly depending on cost. My plans is to have the motor rebuilt with forged pistons and a main gerdle, and I'm toying with the idea of a supercharger with 8lbs of boost or a small shot of No2. While talking with the owner of the shop some things came up that sounded funny to me. For starters he wanted to sell me a rotating assemble that was for 750-1000 hp which was 1500 and some odd $'s and he wanted to charge me 150 to balance it and charge me for piston rings. I found out later that rotating assembly came with rings bearing and was already balanced. He also said that the stock crank and rods would not handle any boost/No2 for long and that I could not run on pump gas with the boost. He also told me that pistons are not very close to the same size even from a reputible company they would be off like 3.31/3.293/3.29 and so on. Thanks for reading and any input would be great.
Dennis

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno sounds fishy to me, i think i would start somewhere else. How many miles are on your bottom end now. stock engines minus the 93 already have forged pistons, but you could get a cheap rotating assembly for like 800 bucks with low compression, then throw a supercharger on that, , wouldnt waste the money on the girdle, wont really help; anything over 500 is pushing the limits fo the stock block and girdle or not will break it in half. And nitrous and supercharger def. dont mix on a stock block.

"Find another shop! Run, dont walk! Get the **** out of there!"Yea that's my thinking, how do you feel about DSS?

There is a lot of talk back and forth however, I do not have any personal experience with them.. Best recommendation is to do a Google and a stangnet forum search of dss and see what you come up with. Generally the average consensus is accurate...

That builder isn't really lieing. But for a kit that only handles 750-1000 hp its a cast crank and i beam rods. For a few hunderd more you could buy a forged crank and h beam rods. And what he said about he piston not all being the same size that is ture to. My 347 kit was rebalanced. It was a little off not really enough to worry about. But I wouldn't pay for the rings and bearings. That should come in the kit with the crank, rods, and pistons. The only other thing would would need is cam bearings.

Yeah, he was probably going to sell you a cast crank and rods. For around $1800 you could get an Eagle rotating assembly that is forged with h-beam rods.

Also, a rotating assembly ALWAYS needs balanced even if it says it's already balanced.

Rings don't always come with pistons either.

For starters he wanted to sell me a rotating assemble that was for 750-1000 hp which was 1500 and some odd $'s and he wanted to charge me 150 to balance it and charge me for piston rings. I found out later that rotating assembly came with rings bearing and was already balanced.

Like others mentioned, not all rotating assemblys come with rings. Also, you ALWAYS balance it regardless if it "claims to be balanced". That is $150.00 well spent.

He also said that the stock crank and rods would not handle any boost/No2 for long and that I could not run on pump gas with the boost.

As with most shops, they are just trying to get you to upgrade your parts. Not necessarily make you think you need to spend more money,but they give you the option. He is just saying it is wise to upgrade your crank/rods, because it is. Now whether he said they won't last or not, who knows. I can't say they will last but from experience they have no problem handling 40k street miles with 500hp on my car. Given its never seen the strip and i hardly ever beat on it.

For starters he wanted to sell me a rotating assemble that was for 750-1000 hp which was 1500 and some odd $'s and he wanted to charge me 150 to balance it and charge me for piston rings.

Ask yourself why you would need bottom end components that will support an engine in the 750-1000hp level when the stock 302 block takes a crap somewhere in the 500-550hp range? :shrug:

What exactly are you looking to do? Sounds to me like just refreshing your stocker should be enough for what you want to do unless I missed something. If you don't have substantial bore wear, just reuse the factory forged pistons and save a few bucks. Look around for a more competent shop that can do what you want, and not try to sell you parts you don't need.

What exactly are you looking to do? Sounds to me like just refreshing your stocker should be enough for what you want to do unless I missed something. If you don't have substantial bore wear, just reuse the factory forged pistons and save a few bucks. Look around for a more competent shop that can do what you want, and not try to sell you parts you don't need.

Right on the money! :nice:

Ask yourself why you would need bottom end components that will support an engine in the 750-1000hp level when the stock 302 block takes a crap somewhere in the 500-550hp range? :shrug:

Agreed.

There's so much bad information/advice from both the engine builder and people in this thread. I don't know if the engine builder is an idiot or just trying to upsell you, but I wouldn't trust someone that dishonest anyway. Judging by your screenname you have a '92, so your engine already has forged pistons which will work absolutely fine if they are not damged or out of their wear limits. As far as the rest of the rotating assembly, your stock crank and rods will outlast your stock block, so don't worry about that if they are not excessivly worn as well. The main girdle is up to you. It will break with or without it, but it might help hold the block together when it breaks and there's a slight chance it might save a couple parts.

Ya hit the nail right on the head.

The stock rotating assembly will take quite a bit of abuse. I have a 93 with a 100 shot of N2O on it and a stock bottom end and have had no problems with it. If you do decide you want to stroke it then get good parts but don't go crazy and spend money that you don't have to when the block will split before you break the 750-1000 hp rotating assembly. And when the block splits a main girdle might save the rotating assembly and it might not.