Jacking Procedure For Wood Cribbing?

Earthquakes in CA have me paranoid. I'd like to get some extra clearance under the car for tinkering while taking the right precautions. Cribbing with jackstands as backup seem like a good solution.

I need to get 7.5" clearance to slide the cribbing under the tire. For reference here is the cribbing, linky

edit *it seems I'm making this harder than it needs to be. This video shows how to raise the car using the side Jack points, YouTube link

Soo.. Here is what I was thinking.
Front:
Place jack under the front control arm bolt area (#1 in pic). Raising one tire off the ground a few inches then placing a jackstand under the spring perch cup (#2 in pic). Switch to other side following same steps to level front end. Rinse and repeat extending the jack stands until I can slide the wood cribbing under the tires.

Rear:
Place the jack forward of the sway bar on the control arm (#3 in pic). Place jackstand on the end of the shock (#4 in pic). Same as front, jack up till tire is a few inches clear and jackstand. Do other side, rinse/repeat.

Does this sound like the correct process?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Forget about foxbody jacking points and the frame itself. All those locations are fragile. When I was a kid, I bent those locations up. Took quite a bit of work to make it look decent again.

Have a set of full length subframe connectors installed.
Get a jack that is low enough profile to go under them.

The stock K member under the oil pan and the rear axle gear housing have always worked well for me for jacking points. Then put the rear jackstands on the rear axle housing and the front jackstands under the stock A arm spring perches. Then put the cribbing as 2x4 wood boxes that the wheels sit in. There is at least one post here on Stangnet recently that shows just that.

Reactions: 1 user