JAN HOTROD MAGAZINE

eric n

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
Sorry if this is a repeat post, I did a search and it came up bupkiss.

They have a really great article about Pauls High Performance running 12.3 with an 05 mustang. Gears, Slicks, Pullies, Some computer wizardry, exhaust... and voila LOW 12'S.

In the same issue they pump up a gto with a magnuson blower and get a 13.9. WTF??? Interestingly the baseline stock

GTO was 278 RWHP and 307 RWTQ

05 Stang 274.9 RWHP 300 #RWTQ

Pretty similar considering how these things are rated by the factories. That said, different dynos, different conditions......

• Sponsors (?)

I seen that issue at the store yesterday. Wasnt able to read it though. is that all they did? I wonder if thats the JDM Mustang that was talked about on here..12.5@107 i think..

They also lightened up the car by 380 lbs. Took out the rear seat, replaced the stock springs, shocks, coilover front struts, and rear upper and lower three-link control arms with lighter parts. They also added lightweight wilwood brakes. They beefed up the remote shifter mount, swapped in 4.30's and lightweight wheels. I think i got it all.

eric n said:
Sorry if this is a repeat post, I did a search and it came up bupkiss.

They have a really great article about Pauls High Performance running 12.3 with an 05 mustang. Gears, Slicks, Pullies, Some computer wizardry, exhaust... and voila LOW 12'S.

In the same issue they pump up a gto with a magnuson blower and get a 13.9. WTF??? Interestingly the baseline stock

GTO was 278 RWHP and 307 RWTQ

05 Stang 274.9 RWHP 300 #RWTQ

Pretty similar considering how these things are rated by the factories. That said, different dynos, different conditions......

Just got back from Barnes and Noble and picked up that issue. Its pretty cool, I cant believe the results they got for so little work.

new22003 said:
Just got back from Barnes and Noble and picked up that issue. Its pretty cool, I cant believe the results they got for so little work.

Hot Rod has been getting a lot better lately--Freiburger has done a great job with it. I goofed and let my subscription expire so I might have to grab that one at the newstand.

thenarb said:
They also lightened up the car by 380 lbs. Took out the rear seat, replaced the stock springs, shocks, coilover front struts, and rear upper and lower three-link control arms with lighter parts. They also added lightweight wilwood brakes. They beefed up the remote shifter mount, swapped in 4.30's and lightweight wheels. I think i got it all.
Very few 05 owners will be doing this degree of conversion. There is a substantial amount of time and cash involved along with the negative effects of the 4:30 drive ratio. One should realize that this car is no where near a 12 sec. runner in stock config. Ford really should have given us the choice of an optional engine with 40 or 50 additional HP. Ford fell short again with power for the Mustang, this is nothing new. Lets buy an brand new car, break open the rear end, replace the braking system, rip out the seats, throw the factory warranty in the toilet and then we have a car that would run the way it should.

oatmealr said:
uhhh that sounds like a lot of work to me.

Whatever, all you noobs do is downplay everything positive about the car..

You can prattle on about the front stuts, the rear shocks, the control arms, etc. 112 mph in the quarter doesn't come from shocks, springs, control arms etc. If you knew anything about the 05 you'd know that the control arms on the car are already very lightweight from the factory. The most important thing here is that it went 112 in the quarter with a few bolt-ons, and it ran 12.30's with a drag oriented suspension set-up and slicks. Oh yea, I'm sure that Beefed-up shifter mount is equal to nitrous in your book.. :rolleyes:

When it's got some more time at the strip and more tuning and it's running in the 11's N/A without touching the motor I'm sure you and all the new trolls will find some excuse to minimize the car's performance. :notnice:

Stangbang said:

You can prattle on about the front stuts, the rear shocks, the control arms, etc. 112 mph in the quarter doesn't come from shocks, springs, control arms etc. If you knew anything about the 05 you'd know that the control arms on the car are already very lightweight from the factory. The most important thing here is that it went 112 in the quarter with a few bolt-ons, and it ran 12.30's with a drag oriented suspension set-up and slicks. Oh yea, I'm sure that Beefed-up shifter mount is equal to nitrous in your book.. :rolleyes:

When it's got some more time at the strip and more tuning and it's running in the 11's N/A without touching the motor I'm sure you and all the new trolls will find some excuse to minimize the car's performance. :notnice:

Agreed...

Stangbang said:

This is great stuff-You believe that an 05 Mustang GT will soon run in the 11's with no engine work. I find that very interesting as I own a modified 03 Cobra(pulleys,CAI,RWTD tune, exhaust, etc.) that dynoed 462rwhp and 480rwt. The car runs high 11's as expected with those #'s. You need to take a cold shower.

Time comes from getting off the line quickly, not SO much from power...look at the trap, it runs 12.30s, thats in the viper range, but look at the trap..112, thats with a STOCK 03-04 cobra(very good BTW for a pretty much stock engine)...viper trapps somewhere around 120.Time is good, but its not everything.That 05 can easily be running 11s, BUT if it were to meet you on the street, you would destroy it...please dont get up tight about it LOL, you have a faster and more powerful car.99+ GTs can run high 12s if you were to take out 380 pounds and add slicks with gears.Not a real big deal.

drmustang said:
This is great stuff-You believe that an 05 Mustang GT will soon run in the 11's with no engine work. I find that very interesting as I own a modified 03 Cobra(pulleys,CAI,RWTD tune, exhaust, etc.) that dynoed 462rwhp and 480rwt. The car runs high 11's as expected with those #'s. You need to take a cold shower.
I just sold a 99 Cobra that went 11.85 on Drag Radials with 310 RWHP - this was over three years ago.

What was your point again?

hotmustang331 said:
Time comes from getting off the line quickly, not SO much from power...look at the trap, it runs 12.30s, thats in the viper range, but look at the trap..112, thats with a STOCK 03-04 cobra(very good BTW for a pretty much stock engine)...viper trapps somewhere around 120.Time is good, but its not everything.That 05 can easily be running 11s, BUT if it were to meet you on the street, you would destroy it...please dont get up tight about it LOL, you have a faster and more powerful car.99+ GTs can run high 12s if you were to take out 380 pounds and add slicks with gears.Not a real big deal.
This now gets even better. An 05 GT with a stock engine now "easily" runs 11's. Now would that be with or without extracting 380 lbs of seats,carpet,speakers,amps etc. Tell all the guys who have been to the track in their new 05's and run at or around 14 how they should "easily" be in the 11's.

Just read another thread where a guy did low 13's with 200lbs of weight reduction, otherwise stock. That sounds great to me but most of the other posts were skeptical. I guess with a little more weight loss he will do 11's. Right guys?

There is no reason that a properly-prepared 05 GT can't run 11's with the stock motor. I would not use the word "easy" to describe doing it, but I have little doubt that over the next several months, someone will do what it takes.

The car makes decent power now, and with the right bolt-ons (310-ish RWHP and a bit more rpm [for gearing] will do it), that shouldn't be an issue. Of course, weight will have to come out - how much is debatable, but I suspect you'll need to be down around 3300 lbs or less (weight is with driver).