JBA Shorty Headers with?

ABizzLe

May 14, 2009
Antioch, CA
Hi, I'm planning on getting JBA Shorty headers and need to know what catted H-pipe would go good with them if anyone is running that kind of set up.

Looking at H-pipes because want a loud deep sound from my exhaust :)

My current set up, BBK LT/o/r X-pipe/SLP LM exhaust, is really loud . . . I mean loud . . . but kinda raspy.

I'm replacing my BBK LT headers and o/r X-pipe so passing smog will be easier. I live in CA . . .

Any input is welcome and appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

no, do not waste your time or money. Go with stock manifolds and a catted midpipe. Somebody will probably give you their old stock manifolds.

I just recieved my MRT catted h-pipe yesterday. I plan on installing it on Thursday. Not to many companies make a "H" pipe for newer Stangs. I was on Ebay and did find JBA now makes one. The price was around 550 or so. However, I couldn't find that midpipe on thier webpage. The MRT and JBA midpipes are both stainless steal. The sound will be different than your "X" midpipe. I'm sure someone will tell you that there are cheaper options. I'll try to update what I think about the MRT. Pearl02.

I just recieved my MRT catted h-pipe yesterday. I plan on installing it on Thursday. Not to many companies make a "H" pipe for newer Stangs. I was on Ebay and did find JBA now makes one. The price was around 550 or so. However, I couldn't find that midpipe on thier webpage. The MRT and JBA midpipes are both stainless steal. The sound will be different than your "X" midpipe. I'm sure someone will tell you that there are cheaper options. I'll try to update what I think about the MRT. Pearl02.

Alright, cool thanks. I don't plan on ordering right away. maybe in about 2-3 weeks after more research.

Good choice on the MRT H, I really like mine, gives the nice deep rumble when paired with a good cat back. As for the shorties, I will say based on my experience if longtubes are not an option shorties are not a waste of money. I know lots of guys on here will say don't waste your time or money but it really depends on where you live and your plans for the car.

Yes, the stalk manifolds already flow decent but I plan on going FI soon and couldn't stand the idea of having my MRT and Catback paired with the stalk manifolds. I installed tuned length BBK's this spring and noticed a nice change in the exhaust note and I can feel the car pull harder now as well. I dropped the k member and installed them myself in my driveway (not a job for everyone) and I'm in the middle of the process again as I needed to retighten the header bolts down after driving it for a couple of weeks. Would I do it again, Yes.

Good choice on the MRT H, I really like mine, gives the nice deep rumble when paired with a good cat back. As for the shorties, I will say based on my experience if longtubes are not an option shorties are not a waste of money. I know lots of guys on here will say don't waste your time or money but it really depends on where you live and your plans for the car.

Yes, the stalk manifolds already flow decent but I plan on going FI soon and couldn't stand the idea of having my MRT and Catback paired with the stalk manifolds. I installed tuned length BBK's this spring and noticed a nice change in the exhaust note and I can feel the car pull harder now as well. I dropped the k member and installed them myself in my driveway (not a job for everyone) and I'm in the middle of the process again as I needed to retighten the header bolts down after driving it for a couple of weeks. Would I do it again, Yes.

How did your MRT install go? I'll be installing mine on Thursday. I've already done some prep work and I have air tools. Pearl02.

How did your MRT install go? I'll be installing mine on Thursday. I've already done some prep work and I have air tools. Pearl02.

The install was a piece of cake .....but removing the stalk h was the worst experience I've had working on my car. I rounded a nut on the passenger side and removal was a PITA as you can image after that. There are lots of threads here on this already but basically use lots of PB blaster and get a swivel socket for the passenger side. For me the MRT had to go in on an angel at first, basically the end towards the back of the car has to be pointed a bit towards the drivers side once you start you'll see what I mean.

you are in CA, which means you have 1 choice for H pipes and that is from your Ford Dealer, everything else is illegal. actually everything else is illegal nationwide since it is against the law to modify emissions components. the fines for no cats and aftermarket cats are the same in CA.

you are in CA, which means you have 1 choice for H pipes and that is from your Ford Dealer, everything else is illegal. actually everything else is illegal nationwide since it is against the law to modify emissions components. the fines for no cats and aftermarket cats are the same in CA.

true, but im not paying $1,250 for that H-pipe. I already tried that route and decided it was too much.

you have 1 choice for H pipes and that is from your Ford Dealer, everything else is illegal. actually everything else is illegal nationwide since it is against the law to modify emissions components.

This is in fact not true in my state at least. If your exhaust is damaged/rusted out it can be replaced with an aftermarket part as long as it has cats. They couldn't give me a ticket for my catted Magnaflow X. Its perfectly legal.

so you are going to risk getting emissions tickets which are 600+ each and having to pay for hot smogs every 2 years?

The last smog I went to, the guy didnt bother looking under my car and didnt care that my CAI didnt have a sticker. also, lots of people are telling me that hi flow cats will pass smog.

Running an after market pipe w/ cats is better than no cats anyways. lol

The install was a piece of cake .....but removing the stalk h was the worst experience I've had working on my car. I rounded a nut on the passenger side and removal was a PITA as you can image after that. There are lots of threads here on this already but basically use lots of PB blaster and get a swivel socket for the passenger side. For me the MRT had to go in on an angel at first, basically the end towards the back of the car has to be pointed a bit towards the drivers side once you start you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the info. Yea, there are alot of threads about midpipe installs. I'm more interested with how the install went with the MRT. I'll be installing it tomorrow. Thanks again. Pearl02.