Jumper cable reverse hookup conundrum

JohnSY2002

Apr 3, 2018
Alright so to preface, I know that when you reverse the jumper cables it sends a current into your ground wire and can fry any amount of wiring, but my problem is a bit more complicated. So I was jumping an old tercell with a jump box and accidentally hooked them up backwards, after realizing this I reversed them and tried again to realize there wasn't enough amps in the jump box. So I then jumped the tercell with my mustang, with the correct hookup and it worked fine. A day or.two later my mustang started dying and jumper cables hooked to my mustang would smoke. I'm confused why because there was no current sent through the mustang ground wire and what I need to do to fix it. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

I think Mustangs are OK to jump the normal way, I know with Jags you can blow the computer so they say not to do it. Start with the basics and look over the wiring good then have your alternator/battery tested. Wmburns I believe has some good trouble shooting tips in other threads like this one.

Reactions: 1 user
If there's smoke then there's heat. Where's there heat there is voltage drop.

Here's some information on how to perform voltage drop testing. The method can be used to locate any weak electrical connection. In the links provided notice how Eric O uses the voltage drop test to narrow down to a very small area the exact location of a weak electrical connection.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/