Just bought an '86 GT.

I'm new to this site and wanted to say, hello.

I just bought a bone-stock, white 1986 GT 5.0 5-spd. The car looks good overall, but needs a little bit of work. The body is clean, free of dents and rust, but the paint is old and has many rock chips. The interior is all there and in good shape for a 21 year old car, but is extremely dirty. So dirty, I'm sure a new carpet will be required, I think the seats will be okay with a good cleaning job. All the electronics work, save for a left front foglamp that is broken and a couple bulbs in the hatch. The guy I bought the car from had installed '89 seats in the car, but gave me the orginal seats too (I'll likely install the orginals soon).

I wanted a fox-body 5.0 for many years now and I'm thrilled to own one now. The '86 is not my first Mustang, I've owned a '66 289 and '68 302, but that was fifteen years ago. The primary use for the car will be for the street, but I want to get the car prepared for the occasional road course track day (any and all suggestions for modifications are welcome.....there is a lot to cover).

Yesterday I had it smogged, installed new tires (brakes looked good), and changed all fluids. The car needs a clutch and I noticed the rear main is leaking. I figured this is semi convenient with the clutch swap necessary (I take care of this next Saturday). Even though the rear-end's internals looked good and there was no metal in the fluid, it has a little whine. Maybe the bearings are going?

If anyone has any hints or suggestions for the clutch/rear-main installation I would appreciate the help.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

^^^^
Thanks, the four eyes are a unique breed. :)

Here are some pics;

1986MustangGT002.jpg

1986MustangGT001.jpg

1986MustangGT003.jpg

1986MustangGT004.jpg

1986MustangGT005.jpg

1986MustangGT006.jpg

Mike

That thing is in damn fine shape for an 86. The colors and needles in the gauge cluster don't even look faded. It was probably garage kept for most of it's life. Good find man.

Thanks for all the complements and I'll check out the 4-eyed site.

The '04 Cobra is a friend of mine's, a very nice car. It's mostly stock with a couple of bolt-ons, but it will be getting a KB soon.

Daggar, I'll be talking to you about your thoughts on the KB in the near future.

Mike