Just got a 66 coupe, couple questions (body)

89lx2.3

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2000
Hagerstown, MD
HI,

Just got my first older mustang (had an 84 previously and an 89 2.3 now that I am almost finished swapping a turbo into.) Its a 66 coupe with the 200 I6 I got from a friend to restore. Its currently all original but not running, looks like someone put the wrong carb on it and most all of the cables are shot. the biggest problem right now (well the one I want to address first I guess) is the body. The panels I know its going to need are floorpans (full for both sides), door skins (rusted out at bottoms on both), and a 1/4 panel (got smashed up by a previous owner). Also on the 1/4 panel that isnt badly smashed there is a bit of rust around the wheelwell and at the rear bottom portion of the panel, is there someone who sells just those pieces so I wouldnt have to pay for a whole panel? Mostly I want to know the best places to get the sheet metal, best type of welder to use for this kind of job and any tips / tricks.

I will probably end up putting a V8 in it, what is the easiest swap to do?

Finally if any of you have any links you recommend that would be great.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

National Parts Depot sells excelent reproduction sheet metal, or so I've heard and I beleive they sell patch panels that you need. As far as the V-8 Swap, Check out the talk section to this forum and go to FAQ there is a cache of information regarding that.

Mike