K&N Drop in question

04SBGT

Aug 19, 2004
After taking off the silencer, I ran into a problem putting the K&N filter on. It seems that, unlike the stock piece, the K&N misses the clip piece at the top of the filter housing that holds the filter down! How can I go about keeping the K&N on the damn piping lol. TIA.

• Sponsors (?)

02gtred said:
yea, it should go in...just keep at it and it will go in right.

Well I bought it at Autozone, and the part number was looked up on the computer. Well see how tmrw comes along. :p BTW any real gains with a filter swap/silencer removal? Call me crazy but with the silencer gone, it feels like the car can breathe better!

04SBGT said:
After taking off the silencer, I ran into a problem putting the K&N filter on. It seems that, unlike the stock piece, the K&N misses the clip piece at the top of the filter housing that holds the filter down! How can I go about keeping the K&N on the damn piping lol. TIA.

Did you just remove the silencer or the entire airbox? The way your post is worded it sounds like you removed the entire airbox and are trying to get the K&N to attach to just the MAF or just the lid of the airbox. Please correct me if I am wrong. The silencer is just the rubber tube that goes from the airbox into the fender, it seperates from the airbox. Removing the silencer shouldn't cause any problems with installing a K&N filter. I have been running one in my stock airbox for years both with and without the silencer.

Here is an article on removing the air silencer. Please forgive me if this is obvious but, just trying to help.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/intke.htm