keyless ignition

• Sponsors (?)

The thing costs 700.00 to unlock your doors and includes a "button" w/ the supporting electronics to start your car.

Only problem is...... you still need the key to unlock the column.:shrug:
why not just turn the key (that's already in the column) another 30 degrees and save yourself 699.00?

The thing costs 700.00 to unlock your doors and includes a "button" w/ the supporting electronics to start your car.

Only problem is...... you still need the key to unlock the column.:shrug:
why not just turn the key (that's already in the column) another 30 degrees and save yourself 699.00?

:stupid:

My last car had a push button...i kid you not, every single time i tried to start that car, i turned the key before i remembered to push the button. The novelty wore off very fast.

I do sort of like Ford's new "no crank" ignition system, or whatever they call it. All you do is put the key in and turn it to the on position and the computer does everything else, you don't have to hold the key forward to crank it...just flip it forward and it does all the necessary cranking on its own.

Keyless ignition is nice, but on the Mustang, you still need to put a key in to unlock the column.

For $700, it's not worth it.

My daily driver does have true keyless pushbutton start...and I will never own another car without it....but the keys stay in the pocket the entire time....which is the point

Reactions: 1 user
Keyless ignition is nice, but on the Mustang, you still need to put a key in to unlock the column.

For $700, it's not worth it.

My daily driver does have true keyless pushbutton start...and I will never own another car without it....but the keys stay in the pocket the entire time....which is the point

So how does that work? Does the computer unlock the column once the engine starts? What happens if the engine stalls while the vehicle is in motion, does the column lock up?

So how does that work? Does the computer unlock the column once the engine starts? What happens if the engine stalls while the vehicle is in motion, does the column lock up?

Basically, the car detects the key inside the passenger compartment. If the key is present, it allows the column to automatically unlock. It stays unlocked until you turn the car off and exit.

No key inside compartment, nothing works.

There are also systems that detect the battery level inside the remote, so if it runs low, it tells you to change the battery ahead of time.

Oh so you have to have the key on you for it to work?

Well, are we talking oem system here?

This is my "key" . When I want to drive, this is all I need to have in my pocket.

34816d1147084962-06-g35-key-dsc02257.jpg

It just needs tp stay in my pocket. I go down to the beach to do some jogging, I just clip it to my chain, but pretty much I just need this on my person. I never have to take it out of my pocket. there is a mechanical backup key inside incase the system fails, but in general, I have yet to use a key in the car.

I can unlock the doors, lock the doors, pop the trunk and start the car without never reaching into my pocket.

To start car, hop in, put foot on brake and hit button and hold. It will fire right up. To turn it off, shift to park, hold foot on brake and push buttom again. Engine will shut off. One quick push will turn accessories on until you leave the car. It's fast too and if you need to leave quick, you can have the engine started before you are fully seated in the car.

Also has a battery life indicator in the dash that alerts you if the remote battery is running low and should be changed. If it dies, you use the mechanical backup which means to insert the internal key into a slot somewhere.

With the aftermarket system for the Mustang, like we are discussing, you still need your key. You can unlock the doors and lock them without using a key, but when you get in, you still need to put a key in the ignition to unlock the column...and then push the button.

Unsure if there are ways to mechanically bypass the column lock, but that's a safety feature for towing so not sure you want to.

Yeah i was actually asking about your car because i've never seen one like that...i'm not up to speed with current car tech lol. That's pretty sweet, i just wasn't sure how the column lock operated.

Yeah i was actually asking about your car because i've never seen one like that...i'm not up to speed with current car tech lol. That's pretty sweet, i just wasn't sure how the column lock operated.

I work with a guy who drives a nissan altima that uses the same system. I guess it's becoming more commonplace. Don't know if anyone but nissan/infinity uses them.:shrug:

Most newer cars do not have keys, they are called "fobs" in which Mustang5L5 has. There is a small chip in the vehicle with a transmitter that picks up a signal in the fob that is in range it will start the car, but has to be inside the car to be able to work. IMO keyless ignition on a fox is useless. Are you really that lazy not to turn the key the rest of the way? lol

Most newer cars do not have keys, they are called "fobs" in which Mustang5L5 has. There is a small chip in the vehicle with a transmitter that picks up a signal in the fob that is in range it will start the car, but has to be inside the car to be able to work. IMO keyless ignition on a fox is useless. Are you really that lazy not to turn the key the rest of the way? lol

I guess that depends on what your idea of "most" and "newer" means. My 2008 super crew doesn't use a fob. Neither does my wife's 2009 Honda. My brother in law's F150 I believe is a 2011 and it uses keys as well.:shrug:

Lexus is starting to use them across the board, as well as Nissan/Infiniti. Mostly just lower level models and trims don't have them.

Ford is starting to do it. I believe the new SHO has a system, they haven't adopted them in other models though.

I love the feature. So handy when your hands are full or in the winter when you ate bundled up.

Installing a remote start however is $$$$

My dad is a General Manger/Part Owner of a Ford dealership here in Cali, and I decided I would cruise the lot the other day and look at the the options stickers to see. I believe that the Sho Taurus, Flex, Focus, and new Explorer can be delivered from Ford with push start now. (Don't quote me on that, I will ask ) But I'm sure with them dropping the Ranger and coming out with the Newer Explore, all the new model year vehicles (2013) will have this option. Also another viable and in my opinion cooler option that some of the other vehicles like my Dads demo (2011 4X4 F-250 6.7 diesel that has ungodly amounts of torque *800 Lb-ft*), have is remote start :nice: I will ask him which vehicle have push start and which have remote, and what he knows about the upcoming models having either one of these. See where my ford passion comes from now? :rlaugh:

Am I the only one in this thread who actually likes the feeling of turning a key in the column and hearing the engine fire up? Granted, I drive older cars now, but it's all part of the experience for me. Call me old fashioned...