'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'in top wont go down!!

dfresh5050

Founding Member
Mar 26, 2001
90 vert. top went up and down yesterday, but not today.

when i press the button for it to go down all i hear is a little click in the in the rear where the top folds down, no movement at all!!!

bought a circuit at 30 amps, i think it is the one for the top, its bolted on with on bolt, to the left of the steering wheel and has 2 wires goin in to it??

is that right, whats goin on here, help me, i live in phoenix, its perfect top weather!! :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The motor is probably bad. Mine did the same thing. I put a new motor in it and voila it works again.

I got lucky and had a spare one around cause new they are like $200.

The convertible top motors are the same from 1965 to 1993 so anyone should do if you buy a used one.

That is where my spare one came from. My 65 vert that is currently in the body shop.

how to do i change the motor??? is this a pain in the ass??? any other problems that it could be???

when i press the top button, it clicks in the back, but nothing happens??

The clicking you are hearing is the relay for the top. It is doing its job but the top motor isn't running.

It isn't really a bad job. The top motor and pump assembly are located behind the rear seat. It is held down with 4 rubber isolaters. There are two hoses that connect to it, one for up and one for down. And there is a wiring harness that plugs in.

To remove the rear seat pull up at the front of the rear seat bottom on each side and it will pop up and you can remove it from the car. The seat back is held in place by two bolts one in each bottom corner. remove these bolts and slide the seat back down and remove it from the car. You will see the motor sitting behind the seatback centered in the car.

To remove the motor it basically the isolators should pop out of the mount holes in the car. remove the two hoses from the motor assembly using a 1/2" wrench. Tag the lines just in case. un hook the wiring harness. and installation is just all this in reverse. Took me like and hour maybe an hour and a half. Just have a rag handy when you undo the hoses since they have hydraulic fluid in them.

If you have to put more fluid in use a dexron-mercon atf. the fill plug is on the end of the pump, should be the yellow colored end. If you have trouble pm and I'll try to wak you through it.

first my top has been doin this for a lovg time if u can get the button held down by an object or an friend and pop the trunk and tap the motor with a tire iron or a screwdriver it will "kick start it"......second my motor has been doing this for a while and a new one is 200????? has anyone taken it apart and cleaned it out maybe fixed it ????

Roadblock

I would get a used one they can be had for like 50 bucks on ebay or check with a junkyard. Anything from 65 up will work upto 93. If you want to try to fix the one you have now I would suggest getting some electrical contact cleaner from a electrical supply place, Home depot might have it. Take the cover off the the motor and clean it with the contact cleaner to get all the crap off the contacts. I heard one guy say it worked for him.