Launching an auto?

• Sponsors (?)

I think he means you don't really get to choose when you want to shift into overdrive like you would a normal shift, maybe you can turn it on or off but its not really a true gear so theres no complete shift into it. My guess at least

I think he means you don't really get to choose when you want to shift into overdrive like you would a normal shift, maybe you can turn it on or off but its not really a true gear so theres no complete shift into it. My guess at least

what i meant was that its something that you never ever every want to do, so your best bet is to not even consider it as an option.:nice:

Now, as for the overdrive problem...you can get a 2" OD band swap kit and the aftermarket holds several choices for bigger servos...I just built a Wide-Ratio AOD using all the internals from a 4R70W...I'm using a Sonnax A++ OD servo and it shifts into OD FIRM!! I forget what years of AOD-E had the 2" OD band...that way you can just swap out the drum and band...just whatever you do...don't use a Kevlar band...they slip waaaay too much and generate too much heat in the process...best thing is to get a Pro-Series band, or something like that.

Now, as for the overdrive problem...you can get a 2" OD band swap kit and the aftermarket holds several choices for bigger servos...I just built a Wide-Ratio AOD using all the internals from a 4R70W...I'm using a Sonnax A++ OD servo and it shifts into OD FIRM!! I forget what years of AOD-E had the 2" OD band...that way you can just swap out the drum and band...just whatever you do...don't use a Kevlar band...they slip waaaay too much and generate too much heat in the process...best thing is to get a Pro-Series band, or something like that.

Honestly the best thing you can do is never shift into overdrive at WOT, it was never meant to be a racing gear, and even with a 2" band and A+++ servo, i would never do it nor recomend doing it. There is just no reason for it, whats overdrive like .667? shifting into overdrive would just slow you down unless your doing a top speed run down the highway

Honestly the best thing you can do is never shift into overdrive at WOT, it was never meant to be a racing gear, and even with a 2" band and A+++ servo, i would never do it nor recomend doing it. There is just no reason for it, whats overdrive like .667? shifting into overdrive would just slow you down unless your doing a top speed run down the highway

Actually top speed should be achieved in your 1:1 gear...

:( Jeez the more I read the more it looks like I'm gonna have to buy a Lentech tranny. Either that or do 1/8th mile runs and keep the Aod. Yes Ryan I agree Aod's can be boring but for a Daily driver always going through heavy traffic along with occasionally seeing the drag strip the auto is my best route for what I do. Don't knock on the autos to much though ryan most cars in the 10's and lower seem to have them if I'm not mistaken.

why couldnt you use the aod in the 1/4 im confused by this, as there are thousands of people with stangs and aods who run in the quarter without running out of gear. Nobody used overdrive at the track.

Actually, I was giving info on the STREET durability of the overdrive...not RACING durability. I drive my AOD on the street every day...if I have to get on it...I leave the shifter in drive untill I let off the gas...:D

For AOD's...if you are going to keep it...I'd suggest getting a hardened inner input shaft...that is, if lockup is still desired.

If you want to keep it an auto, and want to know how to build one to be stout, check out www.clickclickracing.com, it is chock full of info on how to build a great AOD.:nice:

Oh, AOD overdrive is .67, and Wide Ratio AOD/SVO/4R70W is .7...:rolleyes:

Well I was under the impression that I was gonna run out of gear, to meet my goal of low 12's. I didn't see it as a problem before until it was mentioned OD is a bad thing to use for drag racin in this thread. 25th says I could do it just I'd have to rev my motor pretty high beings I'm usin street tires, no power adders/nitrous and also trying to stick with a 302 which might turn into a 306 if I ever go to rebuild it. I'd like to run 3.73's but I may stick with the stock 3.27's. I guess stock 3.27's would be a better choice for teh street tires bog it a little off the line to eliminate wheel spin. Just a little confusion on my end on what to do because I'm trying to get my setup right the first time so I don't have to go back and do it again.

well one of the guys i race with has a 88 gt conv. before the addition of nitrous he ran a 4.30 gear, with an aod. The eng. combo is pretty simple, its a 306 with eddy performer heads, eddy upper and lower, and the supporting mods like tb, inj. mass air. conv. blah blah blah, its a tricflow stage 1 cam i believe, it mite be another cam tho, i cant exactly recall. but i think its the trick flow. before nitrous he was running 12.9 =12.7 depending on weather. After the 90 shot, it runs 11.7=11.9. So i think that you will be fine, also he switched to a 4.10 gear after the nitrous because he was running out of gear at the end of the track.