Leather Steering Wheel

xomegax

May 16, 2004
Ok, so I just got my new pony, '03 Mustang GT Prem., fully loaded and it only had 2900 miles on it for $17,600! Anyways, I've had it for about a week and a 1/2 now, and I just wanted to know what you guys do about keeping you're leather wrapped steering wheel clean? I couldn't believe how dirty it gets, and I tried using leather conditioner/cleaner wipes to clean it, but it still looks dirty. How do you guys keep it looking clean, or whats a good, tight fitting, nice looking steering wheel cover? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Ive never cleaned mine before because its never gotten dirty. I dont think you want to use those leather cleaning wipes because it will make the wheel VERY slippery. Did you try water? If its really pissing you off and you cant get it clean then get the FR500 wheel. Ive never seen a good looking cover either.

I use Turtle wax leather treatment on mine. The kind in a green bottle. Not to say I think turtle wax is a great brand or anything but it does leave behind slick oils for protection which I like. I don't have any problems with my hands slipping either as I have a vinyl Ford steering wheel cover over it. :D

Gojo orange with pumice hand cleaner. Seriously. A few weeks ago I was at our new house painting some trim with white enamel paint (not water soluable) and didn't have anything to clean my hands after I was done. I wiped them off with a rag as best as I could but found that I was still getting paint on things that I touched, including my leather steering wheel. I went to Walmart to get some Goo-Off or something like that but they didn't have any so I pcked up a bottle of the orange Gojo in the automotive department. It took the paint off my hands easily so I decided to try it on the steering wheel to get the paint off. I put just a little amount on a wet rag and it cleaned up very nicely. It removed the paint and totally cleaned all of the gunk that had accumulated on the steering wheel since I've had it. It doesn't look like it has hurt the leather at all. Next time I might just try some of that household orange spray cleaner stuff and see how it does. My door panels and center armrest are looking kind of dirty now.