Left and Right V8 motor mounts the same

jshcobra

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2000
Someone had posted a question a while back about using two same-side motor mounts since one is apparently still available from Ford.

I just got done installing a set of NOS motor mounts (correct numbers for left and right side) on my Ghia and comparing the left and right side, they're exactly the same except that the drivers side mount has a nut welded on the backside and the passenger one doesn't. That's why each has its own part number.

• Sponsors (?)

jshcobra said:
Someone had posted a question a while back about using two same-side motor mounts since one is apparently still available from Ford.

I just got done installing a set of NOS motor mounts (correct numbers for left and right side) on my Ghia and comparing the left and right side, they're exactly the same except that the drivers side mount has a nut welded on the backside and the passenger one doesn't. That's why each has its own part number.

So if there still available how do we keep ford making them or get an aftermarket company to keep us stocked or do we bum rush them all and horde them like others we know

I would just about consider keeping a spare since my II is not going anywhere :spot:

There is another difference between the left and right. There is a notch on each that fits in a particular way between the mount attached to the engine and the one attached to the frame. Kind of hard to explain but there will be a "slight" clearance issue or improper fit if the wrong side is used. At least that is the way it was with the 3 different V8 IIs that I have put engines in.

stangii said:
There is another difference between the left and right. There is a notch on each that fits in a particular way between the mount attached to the engine and the one attached to the frame. Kind of hard to explain but there will be a "slight" clearance issue or improper fit if the wrong side is used. At least that is the way it was with the 3 different V8 IIs that I have put engines in.
Agreed, I had 2 lefts I think it was, if you put them on one side would line up with the frame mount, but there was about a 1/2 to 3/4'" gap between the mount and the frame mount on the other side. I ended up bolting the old worn out side together to keep it in one piece.

Blue Thunder said:
I'm not certain, because I did the original V6 to V8 swap in 1989, but arent the V6 and V8 frame mounts the same?

Some say they are, some say they aren't.

I say they are. I compaired the frame mounts from a 6 car and a 8 car and they sure appeared the same.

{edit}

Old motor mounts can be rebuilt. Use to be a PITA to mix and pour your own polymers, let alone trying to find someplace that would even sell the stuff to the 'general public'. No more. Today you can buy urethanes with about any properties you want from numerous sources.

Blue Thunder said:
I'm not certain, because I did the original V6 to V8 swap in 1989, but arent the V6 and V8 frame mounts the same?

There are year-to-year differences, but generally, the pass side bracket is the same. The left bracket is 302-specific.

Additionally, there was a design change partway through the run for both the brackets and mounts for the 302.