Let's talk longtubes...

Pro Mod

Nov 16, 2005
Wharton, WV
I'm in the market for some longtubes for my '06 and I have some questions. ONe big requirement for me is that they will slip fit into my 2.5" "short" Bassani X-pipe.

Now my main question involves tube diameter. I will be getting either a ProCharger or an intercooled Paxton (please no blower vs. blower drama in this thread :D ), so I know a 1 3/4" header will be more beneficial than a 1 5/8". HOWEVER, do you know of a company that makes a 1 3/4" header that slips into a 2.5" collector, or are all 1 3/4" headers using a 3" collector?

By using a 2.5" exhaust, WOULD I see the benefit of a 1 3/4" over a 1 5/8"? (remember, boosted application here)

If I did get impatient and get a 1 5/8" Hooker longtube header, approximately how much power would I give up to a 1 3/4" header if I were under boost?

thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I had the Stainless Works 1 3/4" longtube headers. They do have a 3" collector, but they come with adapters to go to 2.5". Really nice quality. I picked up 22rwhp/22rwtq with mine and would be great for a supercharger application. I've taken mine off and sold them due to going to a turbo setup.

169stang said:
I picked up 22rwhp/22rwtq with mine and would be great for a supercharger application. I've taken mine off and sold them due to going to a turbo setup.

Gentlemen, I am adding longtube headers for my V6. No S197 V6 that I know of has LTs yet, so would you mind answering some questions for me? Much obliged!

Please advise on this set-up for my 4.0:

1 5/8" Ceramic Coated MAC Longtube headers
MAC Prochamber w/ High flow Cats (Live in VA, have to have cats)
MAC SS Catbacks with 4" Slash Cut Tips

My mods are listed in my signature. I also plan on upgrading my tune from 87 to 93 when the system goes on. I am looking to gain 15 RWHP/RWTQ from this set-up. Basically, I want 220RWHP and 250RWTQ. Does this sound feasible? :shrug:

I come with the olive branch extended. Please no answers involving how dumb it is to a) own a V6 b) mod a V6 c) put LTs on a V6 d) drive a V6 without a disguise. :nice:

delurker said:
No LT's are currently legal in CA, since they change the location of the cats.

Is there anyone working (near future) on a longtube set up that will both pass smog (have a carb #) and give significant HP increase?

If the answer is NO is there any real benefit to running shorty headers and adding some high flow carb legal cats? Do such cats exist?

Was the Professor secretely putting it to Ginger & Mary Ann? And if not why not?

What the heck did the Skipper mean by, "Little Buddy" or was that really Butty?

On Johnny Quest, just what exactly was the purpose of the mostly naked indian boy who was with them constantly?

Why did Johnny Look a lot more like Race Bannon than Dr. Quest?

When you just have a little cold, is your nose jogging?

Why the hell do people say, "YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!" YES, you can have your cake and eat it too. In fact, having it is the only way you can eat it. The expression is actually, "You can't eat your cake and have it too!" Because after you eat it, you don't have it. Even Pulitzer Prize winning geeks quote it wrong. I just want to kick them in the groin....REPEATEDLY.

Are there drugs which can help my with my obsessive compulsive behavior?

Where would be the fun in taking them.....DENNY CRANE!

169stang said:
I had the Stainless Works 1 3/4" longtube headers. They do have a 3" collector, but they come with adapters to go to 2.5". Really nice quality. I picked up 22rwhp/22rwtq with mine and would be great for a supercharger application. I've taken mine off and sold them due to going to a turbo setup.

Nice gains!! :hail2: