Long Tube And Emmisions

Is it possible to make my 1993 LX with 158,00 miles, which is primarily stock w/ long-tube headers, emission legal, with an addition of a X-pipe w/ cats? I live in Texas and the next inspection I will get will be with emissions check. I really can not afford to spend $350 or more on an x-pipe w/ cats for long tubes when it might not pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

89 Mustang GX
So what your saying is that even with long tubes (especially with the O2 sensors being further away, and not heating to proper temp) the cats on, let's say a BBK X-pipe should allow it to pass as long as all the othe Emissions equipment is working properly?

Not too sure the levels of Emissions compared to California. I am sure Texas is not as strict, but one summer, in the past, Houston had a higher level of smog than L.A. did and that is when they really started the onslaught of emission testing. The testing here in Texas is like a ripple effect. The first year was Houston, the next couple of years the immediate surrounding counties, the next couple of years, etc.

In California you have to pass two test a sniffer and a visual where they are supose to pick up all the modded stuff and make sure they are smog legal for your specific year car!! this is why California issues exemption cert numbers! Manufacturer has to prove their part wont increase emissions and wont prevent the existing emissions systems from functioning exactly the same as stock!! And warrantys they will keep working for like 75,000 miles

Maxxim said:
89 Mustang GX
So what your saying is that even with long tubes (especially with the O2 sensors being further away, and not heating to proper temp) the cats on, let's say a BBK X-pipe should allow it to pass as long as all the othe Emissions equipment is working properly?.

Have you ever seen longtubes up close compared to shorties? I don't believe the O2s are really more than 4-6 inches further away, not enough that I think it would matter.

As far as passing the sniffer, when I had the longtubes and h-pipe with cats, I ran it on a carbed motor with no other emissions equipment, and I passed. If your car is running good it shouldn't take much to pass the test.

BTW -- I have the BBK h-pipe with cats for sale if interested...?

Maxxim said:
How much?

And if you don't mind, may I ask why you are letting them go?

I sold the car the headers were on with the offroad pipe on it and kept this. Now that I'm building a class-specific car, I can't run long-tubes, so they do me no good anymore.

I was looking for $200 for the setup. It has probably 1500 miles on it, very low usage. I posted it up in the classifieds with some pictures, it's there if you want to see it. It's even in the original BBK box.