Long Tube or Short Tube?

• Sponsors (?)

It's been beaten to death, but yes, a significant difference. The stock manifolds perform as well as any shorty headers on the market, so it's not really worth switching to shorties from a performance perspective. Long tubes can get you 10-20 hp or more depending on your other mods.

+1 on the performance, but when you spend $400+ on GOOD headers that actually make power, then another $150+ on a mid pipe. Is really worth the 10-20hp? I have shortys and love the sound after toying with the exhaust a little bit.

acually mine was free, i traded the bbk catted-h to a friend that didnt like his bassani-x. the bbk-h came from a guy who needed a door glass/installed in his 98gt. the door glass i picked up for nothing at my buddys junkyard that i scavage pretty regularly. the car was on its way to the crusher, so i picked all the glass except for the windsheild. whoch was broke. so no i payed nothimg for it, and im not gonna spend an additional $150+ for another so i could gain 10-20hp. im sorry that kind of money isnt worth it when i can do cams for that whole cost and gain 30-45hp. now if i had a couple grand kickin round, id do it all then have a kick ass quick as hell N/A pi 2v in a 97gt, no one would suspect:p

acually mine was free, i traded the bbk catted-h to a friend that didnt like his bassani-x. the bbk-h came from a guy who needed a door glass/installed in his 98gt. the door glass i picked up for nothing at my buddys junkyard that i scavage pretty regularly. the car was on its way to the crusher, so i picked all the glass except for the windsheild. whoch was broke. so no i payed nothimg for it, and im not gonna spend an additional $150+ for another so i could gain 10-20hp. im sorry that kind of money isnt worth it when i can do cams for that whole cost and gain 30-45hp. now if i had a couple grand kickin round, id do it all then have a kick ass quick as hell N/A pi 2v in a 97gt, no one would suspect:p

You keep posting how you don't want to spend that much on 10-20 hp, and would rather get cams... do you realize that you won't get the upper end of the claimed gains from a cam without long tubes? Cams like to breathe, long tubes are a base mod that should be done first before head work and cams.

You would have to have a stage 2 cam to gain 40 hp from a cam. And with stage 2 cams come valve springs. Or would you not pay for vavle springs because you got something else? Come on we have beat this topic to death. Long tubes or fail.

You would have to have a stage 2 cam to gain 40 hp from a cam. And with stage 2 cams come valve springs. Or would you not pay for vavle springs because you got something else? Come on we have beat this topic to death. Long tubes or fail.

*cough*Hi-Tech Stg 2's*cough*

*cough*no springs required*cough*

*cough*just thought Id throw that out there*cough*

*cough*I've got something stuck in my throat*cough*

i agree but my point is thats a lot of money for a few ponys, besides like nightfire says no springs required for hi-tech stg2, even then i stated that if i had a $2k laying around i would do CAMS, HEADERS, SPRINGS, and still have money left for a TUNE. and gain the whole benefit of everything. if i had to do it again would i? probably not, im not spendin that much money for that little bit of hp. besides phatcat why spend the money now for LTs and mid-pipe, if its really gonna be beneficial after cams and head work

im not spendin that much money for that little bit of hp.

You are getting so much more than "a little bit of hp."

-You are getting a SOLID 15-20 ft-lbs of torque across the band. Name another mod short of a power adder that does that

-You are getting that amazing sound. Have you ever heard a 2 valve GT (or any Mustang for that matter) with a decent cat-back/mid-pipe combo with long tubes? :drool: If you haven't, you need to, and you'll appreciate it. If you have, then you already know exactly what I'm talking about.

-You are getting a mod that responds VERY well to future mods. Long tubes alone will probably add 20-25 ft-lbs of torque across the band with a supercharger or cams. No other mods do that either.

And short tubes do none of that, minus maybe make it sound better. I can't say with certainty because I've never heard a short tube headers car in person.

Ok they can put downn numbers on a dyno how about performing with other stage 2 cams? There are companies stage 1 cams out performing hitechs stage 2s. Dyno number are not what I live by, I could care less if the car put down 50hp I would be happy of it would et what I want it to. So back to my piont where hitech are a larger stage 1 cam that is advertised as a stage 2.