Looking at 4.10 gears

Hey guys, I've heard a lot of great things about gears and how much they liven up the car (not that the car lacks power, it spins the tires in 1st all the time). But I was wondering, how difficult are these to install? I have experience installing various bolt-ons, but haven't really had experience with gears/suspension. Another thing, how much do they cost? And if it is too difficult a job for me to do on my own, how much would it cost for parts+labor? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I can tell you the ford racing 3.73's are $199. from what I hear the labor to install is in the 200-300 range and if your experience is limited to just installing bolt-ons I think most people are going to tell you to leave gears to someone more experienced.

stock gears on your car are 3.27. The price for 3.73s or 4.10s are the same. And yes the labor is $200-300 independently. A dealer would probably charge about $400-500. I had a friend Ford Master Tech install mine after hours at his dealership for $200.

WHATEVER YOU DO...make sure you buy FRPP (ford racing performance part) gears. DO NOT get motive gears. They are a bitch more to install, ford gears go right in and require less shimming and install headaches.

If you get gears, FRPP or nothing, im tellin you. And if you're staying all motor, get the 4.10s.

I got a quote today, parts and labor for $700 with Ford Racing 4.10's. this is also replacing the seals, bearings, etc. He said while you're at it, it's worth replacing those things. I believe this breaks down something like $200 gears, $150 bearings, seals, gear oil, etc, and about $350 labor. you can probably find the labor for a little less, but I trust this guy 150% as he is a top notch mechanic and very experienced with Stangs, so it's not really worth it for me to shop around.

I got a quote today, parts and labor for $700 with Ford Racing 4.10's. this is also replacing the seals, bearings, etc. He said while you're at it, it's worth replacing those things. I believe this breaks down something like $200 gears, $150 bearings, seals, gear oil, etc, and about $350 labor. you can probably find the labor for a little less, but I trust this guy 150% as he is a top notch mechanic and very experienced with Stangs, so it's not really worth it for me to shop around.

your car's milage?
When taking out my gears (100kmiles) i had a bearing kit ready to go in, took out the bearings and they looked and worked like they were about 2 weeks old. Ford drivetrains FTW

stock gears on your car are 3.27. The price for 3.73s or 4.10s are the same. And yes the labor is $200-300 independently. A dealer would probably charge about $400-500. I had a friend Ford Master Tech install mine after hours at his dealership for $200.

WHATEVER YOU DO...make sure you buy FRPP (ford racing performance part) gears. DO NOT get motive gears. They are a bitch more to install, ford gears go right in and require less shimming and install headaches.

If you get gears, FRPP or nothing, im tellin you. And if you're staying all motor, get the 4.10s.

Or get 4.30's.

Or the hell with it and get 4.88 or 5.00:eek:

your car's milage?
When taking out my gears (100kmiles) i had a bearing kit ready to go in, took out the bearings and they looked and worked like they were about 2 weeks old. Ford drivetrains FTW

75K miles. Yeah I think if I remember right he said the seals, bearings, etc COULD run me up to $150. Seems like he said $70 or so could go to bearings, but once he got it apart he'd see what needs replaced..although seals for sure he said he replaces. So I guess his quote was the max it would cost me if everything were replaced.

75K miles. Yeah I think if I remember right he said the seals, bearings, etc COULD run me up to $150. Seems like he said $70 or so could go to bearings, but once he got it apart he'd see what needs replaced..although seals for sure he said he replaces. So I guess his quote was the max it would cost me if everything were replaced.

Well im not just talking about the parts' price, the labor of changing out all bearings and seals it as much or more labor than changing out the gears.

I bought Summit Racing 4.10's, they are around $120. Ratech bearing kit is a good investment also. I bought that as well as axle bearings and seals.

My old carrier bearings have a groove worn into them, causing some howling, and my axle bearings were nearly impossible to remove. Everything else was ok. New bearings are cheap peice of mind though.

The Summit gears do whine though, and they were installed by an ASE mechanic of many years who has done several installs of people I personally know and they did not have problems.