Looking for a 67-70 Stang, what pro's and con's

00redGT

Jun 24, 2003
Central Ohio
Some of you reading these forums have seen me talking about wanting a classic Stang, trying to sell my current Mustang, and have seen that I just SOLD my 2000 Reg GT. Now the search is on for a classic and I'm not sure what I want. I'm hoping some of you can help point me in the right direction.

Basically, I've done enough research to know that I want a 67-70 Mustang. I like the 65-66's, however there are things about them that I don't like.

Now, beyond the obvious outside styling, what are the pro's and con's of each of these years. Specifically, I like the coupes, fastbacks, and verts of the 67-68 and I like the fastback/sportsroof of the 69-70. I also like the verts of the latter, however, I don't want to have to deal with finding parts for these limited production models.

Let's see...goals. What I want to do is drop a 351W in whatever I get and upgrade the brakes, suspension and steering. I'll be putting on my late-model wheels. They should be able to fit on the rears without spacers (from what I've read), but I'll have to figure something out for the front. The car will be a nice day/weekend cruiser. I won't be racing it, but I do like to drive them aggressively.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a 67-68 coupe, but I'm not totally sold on it. Since I like them just as much as the fastbacks, the $$ increase to get the fastback becomes an issue. If I absolutely loved them and hated the coupes, than it would be a non-issue. There's a large car show in Central Ohio next weekend that I'll go to and check these models out in person to compare with I like better.

Finally, my wife and 2 year old will be accompanying me every once in a while, so I have to fit a car seat in the back on ocassion.

What say you?

Thanks in advance :)

• Sponsors (?)

69 and 70 mustangs have large wheel well openings, so you can fit larger rims/tires.

67 and 68 mustangs tend to have better parts availability and better pricing.

What he said :D

Your 2 yr old will fit just fine in the back of any 67-70. We take our 2 yr old out just about every weekend in either my wife's '67 vert or my '68 hardtop.

'68 started using collapsible steering column and also a rag joint so removal of steering column is much easier than previous years.

'67 has aluminum dash panel option, not available in '68 without fab work.

'69 fastback is the most attractive Mustang every made IMHO

You really can't go wrong no matter what you choose. Good luck!

As stated above, parts availability is better on 67/68, although the absolute best is 65/66. 69/70 parts are harder to come by and more expensive.

Looks are all in the eye of the beholder. I had a 70 Mach and now have a 67 fastback, and prefer the 67.

Instead of worring about an engine transplant, why not look for an S code. If a coupe is what you are looking for, they can be found for quite a bit less $$ than a fastback. Fastbacks are at a premium right now.

Are you looking for a nice driver, or something you will need to get you hands dirty with?