Looking for AFR 185's...checked classifieds, nothing!

FastGT50Stang

Sep 19, 2005
Chicago
Hey guys, i've been trying to find AFR 185cc cylinder heads for basically the past three weeks but i can't seem to find them in new condition, or very very good used condition, but i haven't had any luck.

I've been looking through EBAY, but it's the same stuff over and over again, with all the buy it now's and ebay stores selling them for 1399.00....if anyone can help me find a good pair of these heads i'd greatly appreciate it, it just seems like i need all the help i can get...

THANKS
Stan

• Sponsors (?)

poneypower89 said:
:rolleyes: im in the same boat as you man

sept in look'n for AFR 165 or Vic Jrs..... good luck :shrug:

You know what now that i've been reading more and more and asking a lot of questions about AFR heads and exactly which ones i should get, i think that the 165's should be good enough, because i'm going to keep the stock 302 and just build it up...and i think that they should work well with the procharger i plan i getting one day...

Stan

Daggar said:
You "may" run into piston to valve clearance problems running the 185s over the top of a stock bottom end.

Refer to the link below for the rest of the story:
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article102/A-P1.htm

In a nutshell, the 165s will likely maximize your short block but if you have a stroker in your future, it may be worth it to you step up to the 185.

Yea that will probably be the better way to go since i will probably not be getting a 331 stroker for a long time...
--hey daggar how do this sound as a combination
-i already have the mustang taken apart, basically everything is stripped from the engine compartment expect the block and pistons.

-have TFS r-series upper/lower intake manifold w/ TFS r-series 1" spacer
-Accufab polished 75mm t/b and egr spacer
-Lightning 90mm MAF calibrated for 42lb/hr injectors
-Aeromotive street fuel rail kit

-Still have to order a Fluidyne radiator, flex-a-lite electric fan, water pump w/ electric drive system, new march performance pulleys (crankshaft, water pump, and alternator pullies), powermaster 100amp alternator, ford motorsport/bosch fuel injectors, i'll get the AFR 165cc stud mount heads; either 58cc or 61cc chambers with upgraded springs and valves, ARP head bolts, comp roller rockers, chrome molley pushrods, and fel-pro gaskets.
-----and basically anything else that'll need once i come across it...

Once everything is done i'm going to go get it dyno-tuned...

Stan

I would have liked the TFS street intake better for an N/A street motor but I think that the one you've got will work great as well. You've got a BIG meter, a BIG TB, and a BIG intake. It may make from some lazy air at the bottom of your rpm range. If you ever decide to add some boost, I think that combo will rock!

I would get the 58cc version. Some lengthy conversations with Rick91GT have made a believer that the 58cc version with their chamber shape and less cluttered valve shrouding make for a better/more complete burn. It also won't hurt you to have the smaller chambers N/A with the stock pistons.

I'd love to see what you came up with for the plumbing for your LMAF. My solution required the modification of an Anderson Power pipe (no small feat) and I'm interested in seeing what others have come up with for the same meter/TB combination.

Did you have that meter calibrated?
What are you going to use to tune the combination for the 42s?
Oh... and ditch the spacer unless you need it to clear your valve covers. The runners in that intake are long enough as it is.

I'm going to run a 3.90 gear out back, and the 90mm MAF sensor was calibrated for 42lb/hr injectors.
I'm going to go to ATR Motors in Joliet and they are going to tune my car. Also, i do hope to s/c my car in the future, once i get some money together, most likely a procharger p-1sc running 9 psi.....about that custom cam, i was thinking about getting a comp cam with a .540 lift on the intake and exhaust and a duration of 290 on the intake and 290 on the exhaust....

STAN

For your combo, if you want to run an off the shelf cam until your Procharger then I'd say go for it. My approach would be to get a custom grind done specifically for your blower combo and gears if you're positive you're going to do forced induction in the near future. That way, you're not spending money twice. A custom cam will make the most out of those gears and the other items you've listed. It'll cost you in the neighborhood of $350. Subrtact the cost of the off the shelf cam and you'll see why I think that way.

Daggar said:
For your combo, if you want to run an off the shelf cam until your Procharger then I'd say go for it. My approach would be to get a custom grind done specifically for your blower combo and gears if you're positive you're going to do forced induction in the near future. That way, you're not spending money twice. A custom cam will make the most out of those gears and the other items you've listed. It'll cost you in the neighborhood of $350. Subrtact the cost of the off the shelf cam and you'll see why I think that way.

As far as custom camshafts go, where should i start, do i get one done by comp cam's themselves? or somewhere else, and all i have to do is tell them all of the parts i have and they'll customize the cam...sounds good thanks again and i'll definitely get a custom cam...

one more thing, if i do end up get a procharger in the future keeping my stock 302 and all, will those 165's work good too with a s/c'd motor or no?

Stan

FastGT50Stang said:
As far as custom camshafts go, where should i start, do i get one done by comp cam's themselves? or somewhere else, and all i have to do is tell them all of the parts i have and they'll customize the cam...sounds good thanks again and i'll definitely get a custom cam...

one more thing, if i do end up get a procharger in the future keeping my stock 302 and all, will those 165's work good too with a s/c'd motor or no?

Stan

IAND......thanks for the site

Go with a 185 or larger head with boost in the future, the 165 will be to small...and they are really not paired well with the large TFS-R runners, length and size. You can notch the pistons while on the block. You could also go with the TFS Track Heat heads, they will fit even with the large valves and work very well.

Custom cams, I have a few companies I deal with, but have used Flowtech Induction, Camshaft Innovations, Bullet, Cam Motion, COMP all direct. I have used all with good sucess, I base my decision on the overall combo, expierence and who I am comfortable with. Everyone does things a little different, as long as the end result is what you want then all is good.

As far as the AFRs, my dealer has them on the shelf in near all models.