LOUD PITCH BUZZ/HISS and a Leak in the rear

kiddiccarus

The first widely accepted Tranny
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
30 Mins from a Ragged GT
Hey guys I was changing my oil today and heard a high pitch sound comming from the rear of the car. Well I finished the oil and backed it up on the ramps and took a look. The Differential cover is covered in fluid, the under of the car at that area is covered also. I thought the sound was comming fromm the exhaust but as I listened to the pipes (Dual off of a Y Pipe) I only heard the normal exhaust sound. When I got to the rear the sound was comming from the tank area or above it. What do you think, Could it be in the tank or the fuel pump?

• Sponsors (?)

I checked it tonight and yes the sound remains when it is parked it idled for 30 mins, the sound did not begin until it began to warm up hough.

Here is the other Question-- while I was under there The under side of the car was coated in fluid, I am new at some of this stuff so I dont know what it is, the differential cover is also coated. What do I do to fix this?

the fluid looked like oil (black and used) I dont think it was transmission fluid because it was just around the rear axel area directly above the Diff, It has been there for a while I think but since it is cold and I drive 40 miles each way for work it may look like that quickly. I have had one issue that I dont know is the rear or the tranny, when I back out of the garage (If not warmed up) it will back up, and when shifted into D or OD it will sit there like in neutral until it is ready or until I rev it up. does this issue coenside with the fluid found maybe?

Check the level of the trans fluid...if it's low it will do just as you described.

Your front seal in the rearend could be out and it's slinging oil out in a circle (which will spray on the underbody right where the rear and driveshaft bolt together.