Low dyno numbers

The original post indicated a tune has been done.

Nothing more than playing with the base timing and fuel pressure a little, but there has been no real tune done yet. This weekend if what the tuner says sounds good to me I'll probably get a tune, that will take the least amount of effort on my part and will eliminate that as being a problem if it doesn't work.

• Sponsors (?)

Where did you have it dynoed? I live in Griffin. Just curious.

I live in Fayetteville...

You do realise if you get a cutsom cam they maybe able to design it so that the valve events happen to were you might not have to notch the pistons. Like I said on scf give jay allen or buddy rawls a call. However it does sound like something isnt jiving in your tune also.

How much do custom cams from those guys normally cost? Theres a place down the street from me called Reed cams and I think they want $300 for a custom cam, they do pretty good work too, my dad had a custom Reed cam in his 72 mach.

Im having trouble trying to figure out what to do because Im getting a lot of conflicting answers, and all of them seem to make pretty good sense.

How much do custom cams from those guys normally cost? Theres a place down the street from me called Reed cams and I think they want $300 for a custom cam, they do pretty good work too, my dad had a custom Reed cam in his 72 mach.

Im having trouble trying to figure out what to do because Im getting a lot of conflicting answers, and all of them seem to make pretty good sense.

You have the parts make them work together..TUne it first ,then see where you need to go..

Throwing parts at it, is not gonna make it faster..

Most 5.0 guys think a tune is adjusting the fuel pressure and bumping up timing on the dizzy.
Most dont see that more power can be had with a REAL tune than the smoke and mirrors of days long gone,plus drivability is better than stock after a real tune..Reguardless of injectors and maf.

You have the parts make them work together..TUne it first ,then see where you need to go..

Throwing parts at it, is not gonna make it faster..

Most 5.0 guys think a tune is adjusting the fuel pressure and bumping up timing on the dizzy.
Most dont see that more power can be had with a REAL tune than the smoke and mirrors of days long gone,plus drivability is better than stock after a real tune..Reguardless of injectors and maf.

On the ecc-v cars yes computer tunning is a big issue on the older fox ecc-iv. The ecc-iv will put up with alot. I would be willing to put money on it that the tuner will not magically find the missing 50 hp in his combo. I would be will to say he MIGHT get 15 at best. All thats to change that might help would be a MAF Transfer, Injector High & Low slopes, vBat Offsets with a chip. However maybe the tunner would be able to find an under lying electrical issue, as I beleive he has had some trouble with the system before.

I would also take it to the track before I made any major changes.

My electrical problems were a result of bad TFI wires and a bad aftermarket ignition. I rewired it with a FMS harness so my electrical issues are gone now.

I'm pretty much checking the cam off the list at this point. I've decided that I really don't want to change it and if this is truly a mis matched combo problem then I'll just get some TFS heads and sell my old ones. It shouldn't end up costing me any more than it would to put a different cam in it, it just wont suck as bad to just swap out the heads.

My electrical problems were a result of bad TFI wires and a bad aftermarket ignition. I rewired it with a FMS harness so my electrical issues are gone now.

I'm pretty much checking the cam off the list at this point. I've decided that I really don't want to change it and if this is truly a mis matched combo problem then I'll just get some TFS heads and sell my old ones. It shouldn't end up costing me any more than it would to put a different cam in it, it just wont suck as bad to just swap out the heads.

Its unfortunate that it comes to that,but I'm certain it will run better. As far as a tune its a waste of money at this point. Just like the guy in a previous post stated if you had later model car that might not be the case. The A9p will run fine with what you have. N/A with a small cam=waste of money.

Well you have to look at it from my point of view. I cant have the car down for more than a few days. The cam swap would require that I pull the heads to notch the pistons adding at least 2 or 3 days of work. I can do a head swap in a day, so that makes it the obvious winner. Also a big cam will most likely make the car suck to drive on the street.

Well you have to look at it from my point of view. I cant have the car down for more than a few days. The cam swap would require that I pull the heads to notch the pistons adding at least 2 or 3 days of work. I can do a head swap in a day, so that makes it the obvious winner. Also a big cam will most likely make the car suck to drive on the street.

I totally agree. The coupe I just sold had a TFS stg1 in it. Its a good cam for a car that sees alot of street duty. My coupe had a explorer longblock (GT40P heads)w/ stg 1 cam, Edelbrock performer RPM intake, longtubes, electric fan etc. On ET streets it made 270/305 on a dynojet SAE. Which means it would have made close to 280 with radials. You should be able to break 300 with the TFS top-end package no problem.