Low RPM/idle engine/trans wobble?

spock2001us

Aug 23, 2005
Engine/trans wobble/vibration at idle. If I tap the accelerator above 1000 it goes away, only to return when the RPM's settle back about 700 or 800.

This all started a few weeks ago and shortly after I got an intermittent CEL.

Upon acceleration the wobble goes away, but if I cruise at 1500 to 2000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear the stick shift and engine has a pretty good wobble. I have to downshift and get RPM's above 2000 to make the wobble go away.

Crusing down the freeway at 70-80mph and above 2000rpm there is only a very slight wobble/vibration. It reappears when I drop below 2000rpm. Lifting off the gas makes it almost go away, but then pushing the gas makes it come right back.

What the crap is it?

I have 194k on my DD. I recently installed new H-pipe and Pypes exhaust. Got a few codes, replaced coil, cap, rotor. Have not done plugs and wires yet. The only code left is for O2 sensor. Gonna replace them ASAP. Is the wobble anything to do with O2 sensor, engine mounts, balancer? Why would it be pronounced at low RPM's and almost gone with higher RPM's? It may have started just after I removed cats and added h pipe with new exhaust and adjusted my clutch, or maybe that was just a coincidence.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Check the balancer. If you can feel or see any rubber protruding between the hub and outer ring the HB is toast. Continued driving can destroy the engine in relatively short order if the HB is shot.