MAC CAI Installed on 98 GT Love it!!!

sasscuba

Dec 24, 2003
Tulsa Oklahoma
Cannot see why alot of people hate the MAC Cold air intake. Just installed mine on my 98 GT and felt the difference immediately! Better throttle response and it does seem a little quicker. Also have Borla exhaust and it made it quite a bit louder. Jusy my 2 cents but I like this product and would recommend it.

• Sponsors (?)

stangscuba98a said:
Cannot see why alot of people hate the MAC Cold air intake. Just installed mine on my 98 GT and felt the difference immediately! Better throttle response and it does seem a little quicker. Also have Borla exhaust and it made it quite a bit louder. Jusy my 2 cents but I like this product and would recommend it.

i feel the same way about mine. just nobody agrees with me :shrug:

FallenPhoenix said:
Has anyone personally dynoed their car, put on a CAI and then redynoed? We should really have some kind of archive to store dyno sheets on different mods.
It's been done and most say it had no benefit. The MAC styles in particular because they heat up so much that it outways any gains from drawing air from the fender. I took off the piece from the MAF to the TB and put the old stock piece back on. All in all I think air from the fender is better than drawing from the engine comp.

CAI's are a waste UNLESS you do something else when you put the CAI on. MAF MAF MAF. The intake cannot be any more effective unless you put a larger mass air meter on it. I made a homeade denscharger and left the stock MAF on for a while. It went from TB to inside fender. Then I got a C&L 80mm maf for cheap at a swap meet and put that on and the difference was night and day. Just out of curiosity, we put it on my roomate's old 96 GT with essentially the same mods as me only with the stock air tube and the difference was not as noticable. (yes we let the computer reset then gave it learning time also)

So for those of you who have pre 02 GT's do yourself a favor if you haven't already done so and get an aftermarket maf to complete the CAI and you will not be dissapointed and the difference in power will be awesome. The power will be increased through the entire band not just at the tippy top. And if you really want to complete the job, buy a new intake plenum like the C&L or Dragon with a 75mm TB and everything will be nice and happy :D

MAF=Crap on a stock or near stock car, it will do nothing maybe 2-3HP max. The whole point of a CAI is for the air that the car takes in to be colder and in bigger quanities. So putting a CAI on a dyno is pointless, now put it on the track or freeway @ a high speed and that is where it is supposed to help you, not sitting still in some garage on a dyno.

984.6gt said:
MAF=Crap on a stock or near stock car, it will do nothing maybe 2-3HP max. The whole point of a CAI is for the air that the car takes in to be colder and in bigger quanities. So putting a CAI on a dyno is pointless, now put it on the track or freeway @ a high speed and that is where it is supposed to help you, not sitting still in some garage on a dyno.

I agree and disagree.

I agree with you that MAF's are not needed on a stock car.
However, they are worth more than 2-3RWHP by causing the computer to lean out the A/F ratio. However, since you are not pegging the stock MAF N/A, there is no need for an aftermarket. The same effect can be acheived by dyno tuning your car. That way, you will maximize the A/F ratio across the cuvre as well as other things!!!

The MAC CAI is one of the worse designed ones. The 90*bend in front of the MAF, throws it off, and the chrome pipe gets real hot! A better alternative is the FIPK. Alternate between them and you'll see!