Machine work???

Wicked_306

Aug 14, 2005
I just got my block bored .030 over and they guy didnt use torque plates. My friend who used to work at a machine shop said it would screw it up. He said it would cause the heads not to line up right when bolted down. Is this true or will it be ok? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

A torque plate puts a load on the block like it would have when the heads are installed. Then all the machine work is done, bore and hone. So when you mount your heads the cylinder will be as straight and true and round as possible.

You should be fine. What did the machine shops use in the old days. Nothing. There were thousands of blocks bored-honed without deckplates installed. And i'm sure plenty of Ford smallblocks were done this way. You think the Factory used them on your block to bore it to 4.00" probably not!

retro50 said:
You should be fine. What did the machine shops use in the old days. Nothing. There were thousands of blocks bored-honed without deckplates installed. And i'm sure plenty of Ford smallblocks were done this way. You think the Factory used them on your block to bore it to 4.00" probably not!

Exactly...

I prefer TQ plates but you will be fine with a street style motor.