Mains are gone what to do?

snoboardcore

Mar 30, 2005
New Hampshire
Hey guys the main bearings in my motor are gone. Should i just replace them or should i go buy and explorer motor and put the explorer bottom end in? I hear they have a point more compression and that those motors really wake up with the mustang computer is that true? Anyways let me know what you think.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure on compression.. I don't think they are 10:1 though. The main difference is the camshaft. The explorers came with a non-HO cam, like crown vics etc.. where the Mustang motor has the HO cam in it.

If your going through all this trouble.. why not spend the money on bearings and rings instead of an explorer motor? They are no stronger or better than a Mustang motor, unless your keeping the stock heads and intake (essentially GT40). Have the cranke turned, throw some bearings and rings in it.. should be good to go. As for gaskets, you'll need them all either route you take.

snoboardcore said:
Hey guys the main bearings in my motor are gone. Should i just replace them or should i go buy and explorer motor and put the explorer bottom end in? I hear they have a point more compression and that those motors really wake up with the mustang computer is that true? Anyways let me know what you think.

I have a complete DSS 306 rotating assembly I'm trying to sell. It's brand new and I thought I needed it but all I broke was a pushrod. Now I have this kit in my living room taking up space. I can give you more info and pics if you're interested if you email me at [email protected]. It sounds like it'd match up to your combo and if you're needing to redo the bottom end, this might be a good way to go. I am a professional engine builder and can say if the bearings are gone, it'd be better to get a new crank for it and redo it all the way.