Major oil leak 5.0

Steveend-1968

Sep 19, 2017
We did an rebuild of a 5.0 from a T-bird, put it on a '93 mustang and it runs great. Still in the shop completing more work but while running it the other day a leak started from the bell housing tranny cover, it gushed about 1.5L of oil in about 30 sec's. I know this points to a rear main seal but 1.5L of oil that quick seems fast for a rear main.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple screw in plugs back there around the cam area, that much oil in that short of time is concerning, thats a pretty good stream. But you would have noticed it if it was run previous to this, could be a major rear main seal failure.

In the back of the block there are threaded plugs for the lifter gallies and also a freeze plug at the back of the camshaft. If one of those falls out or comes loose there would be a massive oil leak.

So, I finally got some time to look at the oil leak after getting the tranny pan on and was able to run it. It's super weird, I started the engine and let it run while looking all over where the leak was coming out and it didn't leak at all, it ran for about 15 min's and then all of a sudden it started to leak, about 1/2L in about 15-30 seconds. Is it just the oil getting warm... what the heck. Not a drop and then oil starts flowing. Looks like I'm pulling the tranny to see what's going on.

Found the source of the oil flow - and I mean flow. It appears I took a stupid pill completing the engine build and forgot to install a rear main seal !!! doh ... So in a mere 3 hrs I pulled the tranny and put a seal in and wouldn't you know it - NO MORE LEAK...

Reactions: 1 users