massive bolt on power

Stark77

Jun 11, 2008
Tallahassee, FL
Came across a guy with a silver GT over the weekend. He was checking out the sleepermobile and gave the usual "nice". I said the same and asked what he had done to it. "I've got a K&N filter and borla mufflers, pushing around 315 horsepower". He had the nice rims, wide tires, etc. The guy was pretty young - probably no more than 18 years old. So I didn't want to laugh in his face. He asked what type of mods I had to done to my car, so I popped open the hood and explained that I was a little under 270hp to the rear wheels. "But the mufflers was supposed to add 20HP and the filter was suppsoed to add 15hp?". If I worked in sales, I definitely would have gotten this guys number and sold him anything and everything under the sky. Anyone else run across these folks?

• Sponsors (?)

most of the hondas and acura owners around here do believe those kind of hp gains out of a simple CAI and the huge fart can... that's why they think when they put that kinda stuff on their car they can run with the v8s

But as far as mustang owners around here go, we all mostly know each other and if we dont know them and if they are the ones we dont know those are the bone stock cars that just random people drive. The ones who mod their cars are the ones we all know and they are pretty realistic in the claims about their cars

Yep I've met them kind of owners and they are impossible to deal with because no matter what you are on the losing end of the arguement. Best part is after they have added 80HP from CAI, Mufflers and Pulleys and they only run 14.0s then they ask 1000 questions wanting to know why they can't run in the 12's since they now make as much HP as a stock Corvette. At that point you just shrug your shoulders and walk away laughing it's the best thing for everyone.

Bill

i got a friend at school who is like that. he had a 5.0 that he did full exhaust, intake, TB, MAF to and he said it had 350 or 400 or some god forsaken hp claim. I have just full exhaust on mine and he says i "probably" have 270 - 280 on mine. I think he's overzealous with his ass-dyno, myself.

Most ricers are like that. And yeah, theres nothing you can do to explain to them that even though theyve added 30-100 cfm airflow to one component, that doesnt change the fact that every other component along the way is still flowing stock numbers. thats why even with exhaust and intake, my friends old 5.0 wasnt as powerful as he said because he had the stock heads still. ~155 cfm intake...

people are stupid

I've run across plenty of them. Ran across one today at Autozone. He gave me the usually nice car comment, asked me about my exhaust (flowmaster cat-back only) and asked how much HP i had. I told him 260HP he asked if i had other mods. I told him I had a K&N too and a shifter. HE then told me with the K&N and exhaust i should be pushing 300HP!

I just told him i would be lucky if i gained 5HP from those mods and left it at that.

Hehehe 375 to the wheels - that guy has been playing too much Need for Speed. Did he say stuff like "Well, if you get the stage 3 exhaust you can add on 35 horsepower - but the stage 4 exhaust adds 45 horsepower!". Another favorite is "Yeah, I drive a 2003 v-tec civic, putting out, conservatively, about 200 to the front wheels" and all it has are the colored spark plug wires, a gigantic air filter, and a canatloupe shooter on the back. We need a permanent thread to discuss these happenings on a daily basis.

I always like to talk to driver's that are oblivious like that. Most of em know I actually know my stuff cuz i put on their parts for them. They'll ask me "so after this exhaust and the TB+Plenum where will i be power wise?"
I like to answer:
"Well, stock is 265, so with those about 240 real horsepower"
They look at me like I'm stupid - which then makes me laugh.

Some people just like to procrastinate things and some times its these sites that have claims of all this horsepower with aftermarket parts and people confuse Flywheel Horse power With Rear Wheel horsepower, but yea there out there. Gotta love those bolt on Stickers worth 10BSHP.

My friend is like that, i just recently got him to buy an 01 gt and trash the galant he was driving, taking a lond time for me to teach him about cars but hes slowly catchin on, but he still thinks the hp gains are exact on the advertisments lol (workin on that)

I don't know what the HELL you guys are talking about. The K&N filter on my car puts out rediculous horsepower. Seriously my car is barley street legal with this thing on it I have to do all I can from smoking those tires at every stop light.

You should ask them if they have this button on their dash it's the only way to truely add power!
ludme0.png

So if my car is 225 stock...
20 HP from CAI
25 HP from the exhaust
5 HP from red plug wires
35 HP from the PI cams and intake
10 HP from underdrive pulleys

which puts me around 320 HP!!!!! :eek: :banana:

The v6 guys can be almost as bad sometimes.

There's been a few times where the 60HP difference between the V6 and GT can be EASILY made up by an exhaust, CAI and pulley by more than one cocky V6 owner in AZ after spotting me pull in in my GT.