Max horsepower in Cali

• Sponsors (?)

i think there are multiple things at stake:
1. can you pass the sniffer?
2. can you pass the visual?
3. how thorough is the tech?
4. how well can the KB be tuned?

if i remember correctly KB is just up the 15 from me, so they must be aware of california emissions and all that. i'd expect them to have CARB certification but you might want to check with them on that.

well a good tuner will know how much HP and TQ he can get out of the engine before you fail smog...so the trick might be to find the right tuner but i'd say you should easily make 500rwhp and still stay legal. i'll ask around at JBA tomorrow see what I can find out...

I think KB is by Lake Elsinore or something...and I am biased towards JBA cause I am a friend of J Bittle the owner :)

If I were you'd fire off an email to KB and just ask them what their cali customers are seeing regarding hp numbers and also if the customers are still able to pass our stupid smog laws

The KB will pass in CA. They have CARB numbers and are 50 state legal. Also someone recently posted info about passing smog their test with flying colors in CA with KB's intercooled 9# 4.6 2v kit.

They are located in Rancho Cucamonga. Not too far from the California Speedway in Fontana.

a good thing to try is to have the tune done and then have them hook up the BAR 97 to it and see how it looks out the pipe. you could definately do 2 tunes, one for high power and the other for smog. just make sure you keep the stock h-pipe on there seeing as how that is the only one legal in CA. a big trick i do with my 81 LTD is i change the oil right before i take it to to get it tested, that lowers the emissions by a fair amount. as a side note, dont the KB blowers have quick change pulleys?

Hey Clay,

You said that you are in the LA area. You didn't happen to be racing a Laser Red2000 GT convertible a couple weeks ago on the I-5 Northbound towards Burbank/Glendale area were you? I was racing a Nitrous stang that looks like yours.

i don't (see the sig? smog exempt :D ), but i have a friend that has problems now and then. i'd have to ask him where he goes, but he said something about getting special treatment cuz his friend owns it. but i'll double check if you want

jcp123 said:
i don't (see the sig? smog exempt :D ), but i have a friend that has problems now and then. i'd have to ask him where he goes, but he said something about getting special treatment cuz his friend owns it. but i'll double check if you want

why'd i think that :doh:

nah thats alright, was just curious